Saying Good bye and a final question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Well it is finished.. Single unit drive shaft installed. He removed the diff cover and checked inside and it was good. New gasket and new fluid.

Also New brake lines... As apparently the last shop who did my brakes ran them across the top of the rear axle and they were flattened and not working. So who knows how long I've been with out rear brakes.

But all is good again.

Also Massey thanks for the info on changing that turn signal lever. That was a heck of a lot easier than expected.

Thanks All
Dave

Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Just an update. I made my 28 mile drive into work today with no problems. So it looks like this single drive shaft chagne is gonna work no problem. Brakes seemed fine, they squeak alittle but he said that will happen until the rust wears off them, seeing as that had not been in use for a long time.

I called the shop that misdiagnosed the problem and they said all they did was rach under the car and spin the drive shaft(couldn't see it), felt the shaft spin and made the assumption that it was the diff. Claims he had never heard of a 2 piece drive shaft on a Camaro. Well they offered to reimburse me for the diagnosis, so I will go back and get that.

Anyways I guess I will be holding off on my goodbye for now.

Thank You all again.
Dave

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Glad to see you are sticking around. Yes go get your money back. V6 Camaros had a 2 piece driveline from 1993-1997. You can get any 3rd or 4th gen single piece drive line and use it where a 2 piece line used to be. Good looking out on the brakes, wow that could have been bad not having all 4 corners doing their job.

Massey

Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kocuba
Just an update. I made my 28 mile drive into work today with no problems. So it looks like this single drive shaft chagne is gonna work no problem. Brakes seemed fine, they squeak alittle but he said that will happen until the rust wears off them, seeing as that had not been in use for a long time.

I called the shop that misdiagnosed the problem and they said all they did was rach under the car and spin the drive shaft(couldn't see it), felt the shaft spin and made the assumption that it was the diff. Claims he had never heard of a 2 piece drive shaft on a Camaro. Well they offered to reimburse me for the diagnosis, so I will go back and get that.

Anyways I guess I will be holding off on my goodbye for now.

Thank You all again.
Dave
Well dont get mad at them. Even the most experienced mechanics can make mistakes. It is also very honest of them to reimburse your for the diagnoses.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Well dont get mad at them. Even the most experienced mechanics can make mistakes. It is also very honest of them to reimburse your for the diagnoses.

Yes they can make mistakes. But part of me wonders if upon putting it on the lift and seeing it is the drive shaft and not the rear end, instead of saying oops it was the drive shaft and not the rear end, they say it is the drive shaft AND the rear end and sock me for close to another grand or something.

Who knows. I just do not think I will be using them anymore.

Plus they claim that they couldn't push the car, which is why it did not go on the lift, when I was able to push it the full length of the car by myself to move out of traffic. The reason I am going to get my money back is I don't feel that for the $40 that they charged they really did any work short of reaching under the car.