Rough Running

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rough Running

So, I fixed my previous problem of rough driving and weird idling... until today. It has been raining for the last two days and it was raining hard today when it started to act up again. I'm not too concerned because I'm about 90% sure it is the air filter sucking up water. My question is, how do I prevent my intake from sucking up water? Also, I was driving down the road and one of my windshield wipers flew off. What type of windshield wipers do you guys use? It seems that any of the ones I buy are loose fitting and don't work well. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear member

You've been cursed with early 4th gen wipers. I feel your pain. The best replacements I found were Trico 24-9R blades from Advance, but you can always buy wiper refills for much less on the interwebs.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear member

I buy ACDelco blades, but I get them cheap from my job (:

Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How is your filter sucking up water, is it dragging the ground? Have you replaced the plug wires? Leakers can make an engine run rough when there's a high moisture level in the air (rain).

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28Freak
Also, I was driving down the road and one of my windshield wipers flew off.
Im sorry I had to laugh when I read this. I can totally see this happening lol. From the research I've put into it, () you can use the wiper arms off a 98-02 model and it will bolt right on, that allows other wiper blades to work besides the GM brand. However, doing this the blades won't set perfectly on the window and just look a little off. To fix that you need to buy the wiper linkages for the 98-02 model as well. I think your best bet would be to hit your local scrapyard for those. I seen a set of everything for maybe $200 on ebay a while back. At the moment I am just using rain-x though. NO mods, just doesn't clean the windshield perfectly. Does it just enough for me to see.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look up under there and make sure the deflector/cover is on. what kind of cai do you have? agree with 69 is more likely a spark problem. i would suspect plugs, plug wires or opti. mine somehow gets water on/in the ecu when it rains really hard so i have a freezer baggie covering it. i was throwin a code with that. speaking of that are you seeing any ses light or had it scanned for codes?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't see how your intake would be sucking up water unless you were driving through pretty deep puddles.

I live in Washington and drive my Z to Portland, OR all the time. Lots of driving in lots of rain. Not the most fun for handling, but I haven't had a sputtering problem since I replaced my opti and wires.

You probably have some weak plug wires or an opti that is getting old. How many miles on your ride and when was the last time the plug wires and opti were changed?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is at least one kind of cai that has the filter hanging way low. dont recall what the brand name was but i remember the guy had real problems with water.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's just a knock off CAI off Ebay. But I don't think it's the opti because it doesn't run bad all of the time. I have had a feeling it was the spark plugs for a while now, I just don't want to change them. It's a PINA.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Be sure you get the correct wiper part number, my old '95 had some oddball wiper blades that weren't readily stocked at all stores -- check your Owner Manual and get the correct part!

As for your CAI -- pictures replace a million words...

Quick Reply: Rough Running