Replaced my headliner

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Replaced my headliner

It's been months since I've visited this site. Since mid-April to be exact. Kids, house projects, other cars to fix, etc. Plus the '94 has been running great with no attention required other than routine maintenance.

My daughter headed to South America last month so the '94 is staying with me and I got tired of looking at the ratty headliner. The edges under the t-tops were sun-cooked and split and quite noticeable with the tops off. The section under the t-bar was sagging and the fabric above the rear seat area was hanging.

The molded fiberglass backing was delaminating at the t-top area and I was afraid the whole thing would fall apart when I removed it to I decided to buy new headliner assembly with ABS backing from Rick's Camaro Parts. Turns out the part was made and/or shipped by Ecklers out of California.

I installed the new part yesterday. Getting the old headliner out was super easy. I bet it took me all of 15 minutes. Once all the moldings, sunvisors and other stuff was removed I slid it out the rear hatch. It survived the operation just fine.

The new part from Ecklers looked good side-by-side with the old one. Color match was good and openings seemed to be in the right places.

I trimmed the foam-backed fabric around the mounting points and slid her into place. At that point the fit seemed less good.

At the dome light area the holes for the light mounting posts were too small and/or spaced incorrectly. I had to work over my head with a utility knife to get the dome lamp to fit like it should. At the front the sunvisor holes weren't quite right, either, and I had to trim some material there as well.

I bet it took me a couple of hours to get the new headliner trimmed and properly installed. Of course I dropped sunvisor and t-top cap mounting screws over and over and (of course) they fell under the seat where I couldn't get to them. Swearing followed.

So if anyone is considering a new headliner from Ricks/Ecklers that's my story.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Replaced my headliner-img_0593.jpg   Replaced my headliner-img_0594.jpg   Replaced my headliner-img_0595.jpg   Replaced my headliner-img_0600.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heres where i got mine. fit and install was ok, had to do some of what you did with holes lining up right but not bad. it was worth it 93-02 Interior Panels