rear wheel bearing question

Old 05-21-2017, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rear wheel bearing question

Failed safety inspection, mechanic said the rear wheel bearing needs replacing.

I jacked the car up and the left rear wheel bearing makes a slight 'creek' noise when i move it from 12 and 6 position, or 3 and 9. Also has slight movement as well.

Do i just assume the axle bearing needs replacing? Or am I going to have to take the axle out first to see if there is wear on the axle itself?

Any hints/comments greatly appreciated

Old 05-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You will most likely have axle issues. You can buy offset bears that will run a little farther down the axel.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You will most likely have axle issues. You can buy offset bears that will run a little farther down the axel.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Aut.../dp/B000YE8UQI
That is what I was afraid of, b but I guess if I use this offset bearing it wills solve the problem. That is, until that part of the axle wears out.

One more question - Should I do both sides, or just the one side?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That is up to you. all bearing wear but one nasty pot hole early in life can cause one bearing to wear out quicker. Getting the bearing our of the axle is the toughest part of the job.

The last bearing made it 20 years. You plan on needing more then 20 years out of the next one? If you are really worried get the SKF version. SKF R1563. SKF is a real bearing company, one of the largest in the world. Even if it is not made in one of SKF plants it is made to their standards. How long a bearing will last is directly related to how it is made. Also axles can be sleeved. It is a simple at home process that would require a Kit that comes with a sleeve and a bearing.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-22-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

That is up to you. all bearing wear but one nasty pot hole early in life can cause one bearing to wear out quicker. Getting the bearing our of the axle is the toughest part of the job.

The last bearing made it 20 years. You plan on needing more then 20 years out of the next one? If you are really worried get the SKF version. SKF R1563. SKF is a real bearing company, one of the largest in the world. Even if it is not made in one of SKF plants it is made to their standards. How long a bearing will last is directly related to how it is made. Also axles can be sleeved. It is a simple at home process that would require a Kit that comes with a sleeve and a bearing.
Thanks mate, that makes me feel better.

I'm only 24, and in 20 years, I still plan on having my C5 vette, and 4th gen f-body

albeit by then, it will probably be a little worse for ware.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grasshopper645

I'm only 24, and in 20 years, I still plan on having my C5 vette, and 4th gen f-body

I have socks older than you. In 20 years you still won't be near as old as I am now......<sigh>

Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by grasshopper645

Ironically at 24 I owned 1974 350/4speed two tone Black and Maroon Camaro and a 1982 daily driver. At the time I thought I would always have by 74 and I would get a 85 maroon Vett. The 85 Vet was the first L98 car and they were sooo much better then previous years. I talked about it so much my wife even bought the die cast version if the 85 as a joke. Life, kids and insurance made this impossible. I even sold the 74 to help with buying the first house. Course during my planning I did not know GM would build the 4th gen.

8 years after I gave up my 74 my wife found my 67. Vetts are still out of my reach because of the cost of having teenagers and vetts on your insurance. Especially when one of those teens has already had 2 accidents.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Ironically at 24 I owned 1974 350/4speed two tone Black and Maroon Camaro and a 1982 daily driver. At the time I thought I would always have by 74 and I would get a 85 maroon Vett. The 85 Vet was the first L98 car and they were sooo much better then previous years. I talked about it so much my wife even bought the die cast version if the 85 as a joke. Life, kids and insurance made this impossible. I even sold the 74 to help with buying the first house. Course during my planning I did not know GM would build the 4th gen.

8 years after I gave up my 74 my wife found my 67. Vetts are still out of my reach because of the cost of having teenagers and vetts on your insurance. Especially when one of those teens has already had 2 accidents.
haha, life always seems to get in the way. I guess in 20 years I can revive this thread and see if i still have my fbody lol.

The SKF R1563 is just the bearing, so I guess it would not be any good if my axle is warn, which is probably is. Perhaps I should get the axle out and inspect it before I buy the part.

I think ill go for one of those bearings that sit on a different part of the axle, and worry about it in another 20 years.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

SKF is listing the bearing as a repair bearing. I thought I read a review that said it was a repair bearing. Some people list it as R1563 Below PRF just says 1563. I believe Timken TRP1563TAV would be another good choice.

http://www.skf.com/binary/30-286337/TT10_005.pdf

Old 05-24-2017, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

SKF is listing the bearing as a repair bearing. I thought I read a review that said it was a repair bearing. Some people list it as R1563 Below PRF just says 1563. I believe Timken TRP1563TAV would be another good choice.

http://www.skf.com/binary/30-286337/TT10_005.pdf
yep your right, thanks again. I just got confused because the ebay listings show the part as incompatable with f-body.

Will this bearing repair have any issues with ASR/traction control?

Last edited by grasshopper645; 05-24-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing question