RANTING!!! V6 Comments!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I did not say the y87 had anything to do with the RS other then the RS Y87 was a desirable V6 combination.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I had a 99 V6 Camaro and I love it. I actually would rather drive my Sarah (the V6) over my wife's Diamond (the 2000 Z28), and here is why. Sarah was smooth and sliky in the way she accelerated and drove, her body was tigher and there was less flex in the floor or creaks in the plastic. I had more miles on my car and it still had a tigher body. Dont get me wrong the Z is fun to drive too but not as much fun to cruise in. I got 32MPG with out trying and could squeek a few more MPG out of it if I was really nice to it.

I got into a race with a late fox body Mustang GT and won. It was not a left in the dust win but I got in front and he could not keep up. His 302 made around 170-180 HP new my car did 200 HP new. Yea off the line I would be trying to keep up and it would take me more than a 1/4 mile to pass him but a freeway race I had him. We got to the end of the freeway, I had my tops off and windows down, he pulled up next to me and said "Not bad for a Z28" I laughed at him and said "It's not a Z28 it's a 3.8 V6!" His buddy in the car started laughing at him and yelled you got beat by a 6'er... ha ha you loser!

Seen the same guy at a light a few days later and asked him if he wanted to try again. He responded by saying no once was enough. and asked me if that was really a V6, I revved the engine and asked if that sounded like a V8 to him. He wanted to know how I was faster than he was, I just told him his engine was about 30 or so HP less than mine stock to stock, but he could easily take me off the line here as he has more torque. Green light and he took off... I didnt race this time, I let him have his fun!

Massey

Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Overdrive Member

No limited slip differential, smaller sways (but was an RS option) no tighter steering ratio either, and less stiff front springs. Like I said before, there are RS options, including your wheels -- up-charges...

Originally Posted by RSMan02
That's a pretty good explanation. The SLP RS Camaros are basically everything the Z28s were, minus the drivetrain (the most important part). Some, like mine, even came out of SLP with ZR1 wheels.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You guys are just plain FUN! It's amazing how much information is out there. I've been driving F-bodies for approximately 13 years and never knew half of this stuff. I actually get excited to log onto this forum to see what new information has been posted. I'm so glad I ranted on here because the V6 World really opened up with good history and options info that I never knew about.

I have a few questions for you all. I know it's a V6 Camaro, so bear with me on this. Since my car is in excellent condition with only 54,000 original miles, do you think it will be (or already is) desirable to collectors? Keep in mind that it's one 1 of 443 and 1 of 54 Sebring Silver RS SLP Camaros. I drive this Camaro several times per week and my kid sits in the back seat with toys. Should I be treating this car as a novelty, or should I just drive it like I would a daily driver? Will the rarity prove to be King, or will the V6 engine destroy its collector market value?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Low miles car, and the last year of the breed. That does count for something as far as value. Definitely worth more than a plain jane model of the same year, or a comparably equipped model of a previous year. How much? Hard to say, since you'd need to find a buyer who's looking for one and appreciates the car for what it is.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Low miles car, and the last year of the breed. That does count for something as far as value. Definitely worth more than a plain jane model of the same year, or a comparably equipped model of a previous year. How much? Hard to say, since you'd need to find a buyer who's looking for one and appreciates the car for what it is.
I would have to agree with you. I had a beautiful 92 RS V6 back in the day. That car was so nice, but it reached 100,000 miles and I sold it for a 98 Firebird with 10,000 miles. When I sold it, I got $4,000 for it. I thought that was a decent amount at the time. The guy I sold it to still has it in his shop. He's probably driven it no more than 1,000 miles in 12 years. I kid you not... that 92 RS is probably as nice as the day it was new. A couple of years ago, I asked to buy it back. The owner told me that because it's in pristine condition and an anniversary model, that he will not let it go for under $10,000. I was speechless! I was ready to give him $6,000 cash and thought I had it bought. I'll be he'd want more today. Whenever I look at my 02 RS, I think of this situation. I basically have the same car, but in a 4th Generation, with half the miles and even more rare with the SLP options. I'm just wondering if this other guy knows what he's doing. If so, then maybe I should be treating my 02 as a collector car. That was the thought behind my questions.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Some people (my wife included) might think my 69 is a stupid car.
What?! I'd marry you in a heartbeat just for the car lol. You could be the meanest a$$ around but your car is the bomb

I've had a more muscle v8 and I prefer my v6. My cousin behind me is having a room added to her house and one of the men drives a 93 (I think) Honda Accord and it skips bad, smokes bad and sounds like a crotch rocket. My inlaws had a car identical to this and you couldn't even tell they were at my house. Now granted, they bought it brand new and didn't do crap to it. It was totaled 2 years later when an idiot hit rear ended them in a 55 mph while they were turning. You can hear this car 1/4 of a mile before it slows to turn.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Dana
What?! I'd marry you in a heartbeat just for the car lol. You could be the meanest a$$ around but your car is the bomb

WOW! There you go Camaro69! It's every car guy's dream woman!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
Well I had a 99 V6 Camaro and I love it. I actually would rather drive my Sarah (the V6) over my wife's Diamond (the 2000 Z28), and here is why. Sarah was smooth and sliky in the way she accelerated and drove, her body was tigher and there was less flex in the floor or creaks in the plastic. I had more miles on my car and it still had a tigher body. Dont get me wrong the Z is fun to drive too but not as much fun to cruise in. I got 32MPG with out trying and could squeek a few more MPG out of it if I was really nice to it.

I got into a race with a late fox body Mustang GT and won. It was not a left in the dust win but I got in front and he could not keep up. His 302 made around 170-180 HP new my car did 200 HP new. Yea off the line I would be trying to keep up and it would take me more than a 1/4 mile to pass him but a freeway race I had him. We got to the end of the freeway, I had my tops off and windows down, he pulled up next to me and said "Not bad for a Z28" I laughed at him and said "It's not a Z28 it's a 3.8 V6!" His buddy in the car started laughing at him and yelled you got beat by a 6'er... ha ha you loser!

Seen the same guy at a light a few days later and asked him if he wanted to try again. He responded by saying no once was enough. and asked me if that was really a V6, I revved the engine and asked if that sounded like a V8 to him. He wanted to know how I was faster than he was, I just told him his engine was about 30 or so HP less than mine stock to stock, but he could easily take me off the line here as he has more torque. Green light and he took off... I didnt race this time, I let him have his fun!

Massey
I've heard so many stories about how a 3800 walked away from an earlier V8. I'm not a racer, so I've never done this myself. I think it's funny as hell, though. Don't get me wrong... I've always enjoyed the foxbody Mustangs. I used to have a 5.0 LX and it was a fun little car. I just find it amazing how these newer V6 cars can crank more horses than those V8s.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dana
Golly thanks, I'll put that in my contingency plan! lmao.
Her only gripe is that dumb "stuff" sticking up in your field of view. Well....that and the rough ride, no air conditioning, it's obnoxiously loud, and how it hurts her neck when I "get on it". heh...heh...heh!!
Between the loud exhaust, and my "selective hearing", I usually can't hear her screams!

Quick Reply: RANTING!!! V6 Comments!