Ram Air Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ram Air Hoods

Hi All,

A deer did a dance on my Camaro and I need to replace the hood. I have a '98 v6 and I was looking at replacing it with an air ram hood or maybe a used hood off of a SS.

I know there are a lot of hoods on the after market and I was looking at Z style sinlge scoop. Then I heard all of the horror stores about fiber glass hoods (chipping, paint peeling, etc.)

Any suggestions? Are the horror stories true? Will a metal SS hood with an air ram fit and fuction on a v6?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

The SS hoods off a Camaro should be fiberglass. My WS6 hood is, so I would assume the Camaro's are fiberglass too. The fiberglass won't do any damage to the paint if the paintjob is decent; this means no Maaco. I would advise against an SS hood in general any way. A V6 dressed with a SS hood is not something I agree with, but it is your car, so do as you please.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't want to dress it up like an SS, so we are on the same page on that one. Yet I still have a lot of questions about chiping and paint on after market hoods.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

panit doesnt jus chip off because of what it made of, it comes off because people are to cheap to get a decent paint job, so get that idea out of your head because whomever told you these horror stories need to learn how to build a car, as for the best hood for you for an easy ram air setup, id go with the ultra z hood

Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You won't feel anything from a ram air unless you're going at high speeds. Even then, with a v6, you won't really notice anything. So don't let the appeal of 'ram air=100 extra hp' fool you (obviously not literally). So don't decide on getting a new hood for the ram air factor of it.

My 6 has an added SS scoop onto the stock metal hood. Whoever did it (got the car like that) did an awful job and now the paint is bubbling, peeling, and chipping off. And I think the scoop is fiberglass, but I'm not sure. It's also starting on the hood itself. Like DK said, it's all about the prep work.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

96-02 stock SS hoods are steel, have to prove you own a true SS to order one from GM. Aftermarket SS "style" hoods are fiberglass and if you get one from a reputable company you won't have to worry about the main problem with aftermarket hoods which is fitment. If preped and shot right, a paintjob on a fiberglass hood will last a long time. I don't have a problem with a SS "style" hood on a V6, just don't badge it as a SS.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I run an aftermarket SS hood my V6, and make no bones about telling people it's a 6 cylinder. I wouldn't dream of badging it as such. The hood looks better and was a cheaper replacement than a stock hood. Mine's been on since 2003 and I have had no issues with paint or anything else. Just do a bit of research on the quality of the mold on the fiberglass hoods available. And then, as mentioned, don't skimp on the quality of work in prepping and painting it.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have an aftermarket hood w/scoop and cowl. I forget the name (Z-roc i believe). Anyway it got pretty trashed, chips, cracks and fading paint. I'm getting it fixed but i thought id let you know what happened to that fiberglass hood. I bought it like that so i dont know exactly what the previous owner did. Also the fitment isn't great. On a positive side the hood looks badass and helps cool the engine. I love it! Here's a pic.
Name:  94_Camaro_FR.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  9.5 KB

Old 09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes it's called a Z-Roc hood lol. Just thought I'd let ya know

Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

this may help its a list of all (or most of) the hoods available for the 4th gen.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/spoilers-hoods-54820/

*Thanks Chaotic94

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hoods