Rag joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Rag joint

I have read this is a common issue with cars that have headers, my 93 has a case of play in the steering wheel. I am pulling the steering column a part this weekend to tighten that side of it up but I was wondering if there a any opinion on what to do with the Rag join? The two possible is the rag joint eliminator and using the LS1 shaft that does not have the rag join.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-04-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have read this is a common issue with cars that have headers, my 93 has a case of play in the steering wheel. I am pulling the steering column a part this weekend to tighten that side of it up but I was wondering if there a any opinion on what to do with the Rag join? The two possible is the rag joint eliminator and using the LS1 shaft that does not have the rag join.
LT1
Pacesetter long tubes

tight but I have no clearance issues
yes the plastic cover gets tossed but that's all

The one issue that I can't seem to fix is the loose nut between the steering wheel and seat, any suggestions?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
LT1
The one issue that I can't seem to fix is the loose nut between the steering wheel and seat, any suggestions?
This issue has been around since I began working on cars in the early 80. So far I have not found a fix.

Here what I have found so far. Looks like I can get the eliminator for Shipped $45 and I can find a used the LS1 joints for about the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-LS1-Ca...4b6e09&vxp=mtr

Unbalanced Engineering 1993-97 Camaro and Firebird Rag Joint Eliminator Kit

Youtube rag joint elimination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepPDwEj7QE

You tube LS1 steering conversion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYMbnyYTRU

I am leaning towards the LS1 conversion.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-05-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:18 PM
4th Gear Member

This issue has been around since I began working on cars in the early 80. So far I have not found a fix.

Here what I have found so far. Looks like I can get the eliminator for Shipped $45 and I can find a used the LS1 joints for about the same.

98 02 LS1 Camaro Firebird Steering Shaft Knuckle | eBay

Unbalanced Engineering 1993-97 Camaro and Firebird Rag Joint Eliminator Kit

Youtube rag joint elimination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepPDwEj7QE

You tube LS1 steering conversion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYMbnyYTRU

I am leaning towards the LS1 conversion.

if you're yanking the steering column then it's the ideal time to do it if you want.

Me, I have to replace yet another trans mount

I suppose I could wait the few days and order a poly one on-line as opposed to getting yet another rubber one from the local shops

Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not to keen on "un-staking" the U-joint to re-index the shaft, If the U-joint were to slide out...The steering will lock down. Steering & Brakes are not something to be "Rigged" on.

Why not run a LS1 rack & steering shaft?

Not sure about that solid rag joint conversion from Unbalanced, The steering shaft NEEDS 2 points of articulation.

If it were me, I would replace the Rag Joint "Disc" & see how long it will last....I bet it would last a long time. Borgeson Universal Company :: Dodge Truck 1979-08 :: Dodge Ram Truck Steering Shafts :: Rubber Rag Joint Disk - 3-1/4" Diameter

Old 06-06-2015, 07:40 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Clinebarger,
Does you V6 body have a rag joint?

The reason I am not switching to the LS1 rack is because I just installed a new LT1 rack thinking that was the source of the play in the steering.

I am on another forum with a much higher volume of people and there are dozen of people who have done both repairs. So far the only factor any can say for sure is that the LS1 shaft looks cleaner. I did notice in the below pic that the LT1 shaft looks like it can collapse. I assume that is a safety thing for a front end hit.

Name:  Both%20shafts_zps9nslam9d.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  91.5 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 06-06-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I notice after installing pasetter,having same problem mostly when in parking lots ,not so much at higher speeds ,sticking ,I thought it had to do with repositioning of the pump resivor ,but I been thinking of asking my mech what he thinks,there suposed to be desiged to fit around the steering ,I will ask him this week ,allways good to get another opion to ,its wierd to its does it some times then others not ,I was so happy with the headers an the performance ,of the car I did not think to much of it till now , I guess best way to know where its rubbing is to turn wheel when car is off an look an listen,he had metioned pulling something to get them in ,hummmm,though if that eliminator works then mabey its what I need to do as well ,?that's 4 bolts

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-06-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Clinebarger,
Does you V6 body have a rag joint?

The reason I am not switching to the LS1 rack is because I just installed a new LT1 rack thinking that was the source of the play in the steering.

I am on another forum with a much higher volume of people and there are dozen of people who have done both repairs. So far the only factor any can say for sure is that the LS1 shaft looks cleaner. I did notice in the below pic that the LT1 shaft looks like it can collapse. I assume that is a safety thing for a front end hit.

My car has the same shaft as LS1 cars, I was told & read several times I needed an LS1 rack & Steering shaft....Which was completely false on my car.

As long as you Stake the u-joint back in good....I guess it will be OK.

The Collapsible shaft is so the steering column doesn't get shoved toward you in a front end collision.

In LS1 cars, The input shaft angle is leaned over a lot more than LT1 racks. Every LS1 I have seen wreaked it the front.....The Rack is broken in 2 places, I guess this takes place of the collapsible shaft??

Old 06-07-2015, 04:26 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks like the column itself is shot, There is a ton of play in the pivot pin. I have not pulled it a part yet but my guess is the bores on both parts are worn.

Name:  Steering_zpsqphflu4w.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  491.1 KB

Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
4th Gear Member

oh yes thats not my problem to much play ,,mine seems to have gone away mostly ,but will ask about the the sticking a bit