Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Questions

Hey, I've got some questions that I can hopefully get answered. I was wondering what it would take to get my Camaro ('95 Z-28) up to 350 HP. I was thinking about getting some coated Pacesetter full length headers with some 2.5" (is that a good size to run regarding diameter?) true dual exhaust with Dynomax Ultra Flow (straight thru) mufflers, and a SLP Blackwing air filter. This wouldn't get me there so I was thinking about a mild cam (something streetable but still power producing). What would be a duration and lift to get to that power (would 212/218 int/exh duration with a .488"/.495" int/exh lift work or would something more radical be needed)? Would any work need to be done to the heads (rocker arms, springs, etc.)?
Also, does anyone know if the stainless synchros that the Viper uses for its T-56 fit the Camaro's, or is there a company that makes stainless synchros specifically for the Camaro's (the stock camaro ones are brass I think)? Two more...If I were to put in a 4.10 rear end, is there a way to put an overdrive on 6th gear to keep the mileage decent or would it just be easier to change the ratio?
Last one: What is the widest tire that can be put on? I read that a 315 (10.5") can be put on with spacers on the rear and no spacers on the front, any thoughts?
Sorry, that's a lot of questions. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Questions

Wow, no shortage of questions there

First off, some of the answers will depend on what you mean by "350" HP, are you looking for 350 HP to the wheels or 350 HP at the crank? If you're looking for 350 at the crank, bolt-ons and a mild cam will do. For 350 to the wheels you'll need a more aggressive cam and some head work on top of the bolt-ons.
As far as your exhaust goes, it's pretty hard to fit a "True Dual" system under the car, you'll be better off going with headers, a nice Y pipe and a good cat back, true dual systems get expensive if you want tips out the back. If you're willing to sacrafice the visual aspect of the tips, you can dump the pipes before the rear axle, but you'll still probably run into some ground clearance issues.
The "Black Wing" air filter is for the LS1 Camaro/Corvette, I'd suggest going with a K&N or Moroso CAI.
As far as your cam goes, you always want to match the cam with the valve springs. A good streetable cam that's a bit more aggressive than the stock cam is the LT4 Hotcam kit, it comes with a cam, springs, 1.6:1 roller rockers and all the other goodies you need. It will get you to your 350 crank HP mark, but you'll probably need something a bit more aggressive to get up to 350 to the wheels.
As far as your gearing issues, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone can answer them for you!

The widest tire you can fit is a 315 on the rear, you shouldn't need any modifications. I wouldn't suggest going any wider than a 274 on the front to avoid rubbing and looking retarded...

Hope that helps!