Project L36 Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:55 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
nice. so did you get to 3rd gear, sounded like you just hit 3rd right at the end or did i miss a shift.
Yeah, it was well into 3rd

Originally Posted by RedKnight
"Powered by a Buick"...

Find that announcer and
It is powered by a Buick V6

Old 10-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good job, and long time no see. So, what do you plan on next to eek out that tenth?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The next tenth means full roll cage

Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

That's the new rules right? 11.99 means a 5-point? I've been trying to find out the answer to that for sure, PIR here didn't have a clue, nor did Woodburn. I was told it took affect this year, but all the tracks are still using 11.49, need to figure that out.

But yeah, it has 11.5 in it easily, my problem was traction and tune. Most throttle I could leave on was about 25-30%, any more and it did a half-track burnout. So I wasn't leaving on boost either. Earlier in the day I pulled a 1.69 60', so I know it can do that at least, but my goal is 1.5 or bust.

This winter it's getting 28" M&H drag radials, rebuild the posi in my 9", QA1 single adjustable coilovers in the front, 3-way Competition Engineering shocks in the rear. Then a roll bar, Poly seats with Ed Quay brackets (can't have aluminum showing in my interior for a class I'm aiming to run in some day, so Kirkey is out, this is also cheaper). All the HVAC is coming out, the AC portion is already long gone. Burkhart front/rear bumper supports, and possibly a speedglass rear window.

There's a ton of bugs I need to work out, for example my boost controller is a cheapo AEM Tru-Boost, it had issues keeping the boost steady at double my wastegate spring pressure. So I've gotta work on that. Timing was only at 13* with about 3* KR on my fast pass due to leaning out into the 12's for AFR, I'm confidant that I can run about 15-17 with a steady 11.5:1 ratio. My methanol injection setup hiccuped on my last pass, the solenoid stuck closed and the kit didn't come on, so it broke up as soon as it hit boost. What I realized then is that the engine is too dependent on the stuff, if it does this again then all hell could break loose. So I'll be running strictly 109 unleaded race gas next year. Thought about E85, it's easy to handle tuning wise, just 2 tables to change and the PCM corrects itself. But then I need some serious fuel system upgrades. Time will tell, I change my mind daily on this stuff usually :P Engine wise, I don't want to touch it just to see how hard I can push it, and to prove a point I've been talking about on here for years now, that you CAN go fast with a stock engine. Now, I did find a problem I can't get around, my valves are floating at these boost pressures, so I need to change the springs. But I'm going to use 105's so I don't need to swap the timing chain and such. Hopefully that'll improve on things.

Weird not having the T5 in the thing, me and auto's don't have a very friendly history. But I won't argue the fact that it was a good move pulling it for the auto with the turbo.

So she's still kicking, and I'm still not done. When the other engine lost oil pressure I almost left the V6 game, but then a friend of mine went 11.5 in his turbo 3800 powered regal, so I got back on with this thing for what I thought one last shot, now I've got the itch again to push the thing even harder still. So we'll see.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm glad to see you didn't give up on the turbo. It sounds amazing BTW.

Did you get a hard time about not having a front plate? I noticed it has one now. I just had to finally put one on mine to avoid a $140 ticket.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

It's always had plates, the only times it hasn't had one on was for pictures, and when I was still waiting for the current vanity plates to come in the mail. I could pull the front one if I wanted, I only street drive this thing about 2000 miles a year, if that, lol.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I see how you changed your sig, love the Buick GN Turbo logo. Was day dreaming about turbocharging my 3.8 and making a mock Grand National badge for it, but instead of "Grand National" it saying "Rally Sport"

Can't wait to see more of the turbo teal mobile.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I pulled that off a rendering I had done of where I'm "trying" to take the car (life kinda has me restricted money wise right now, trying to buy a house still)

Name:  ALLcolor.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  163.5 KB

Oh, for the V6 guys reading. The late model 3800 series 3 engines (L26 and L32) in the FWD cars have aluminum oil pans. They do fit, with some cutting, haha. They have much better windage trays and in general are stronger. I just felt creative so I decided to make it fit. I'm also working on swapping on the L26 FWD UIM/LIM, they make these f-body plenums look retarded when it comes to flow. I'm already running a FWD fuel rail so there is room. Just need to grind down part of the LIM, cut out some of the wall so the coolant can cross over still (that's what the little cover is for that is now gone) and weld it back up. Hood clearance wise, not sure if it'll work with my early front end yet. Things need to change like alternator mounting, heater hoses (or lack there of on my car), etc. More on that to come as I get it all sorted out.

Current engine (notice my gutted TB with the meth nozzle and thread-in IAT where the MAF used to be):

My FWD manifold progress (ignore the FWD headers and DBW TB)
Name:  DSCN3866.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  98.6 KB

Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Think you can get the plenum to fit under the hood?

Hmmm... why does all the good stuff go on the FWD's? Superchargers, aluminum oil pans... did GM get something switched?

Last edited by Spatfieya; 11-04-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Amazing build, I want to do something fairly similar and now know I will defiantly need to save some money for awhile to attempt any serious mods lol.
There hasn't been any updates for awhile are you still working on it MusicMan?
Also I love the color, I have the Mystic Teal Metallic on my car and seeing that fast green turbo mobile machine is great inspiration . I just had to let you know how much I love your build even though everyone here has lol.
I read the whole build and will several more times.

Last edited by JoshMan; 07-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Project L36 Sleeper