Primer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You should ask the place that is going to paint it. Most painters are not going to trust a primer that has been on a car like that, they will also want to see what is under it and they will want to remove it. The epoxy primers can be a pain to remove. I personally would not spend the money on a decent epoxy primer that is just going to be removed in 6 months.
Well it may be over a year before i can get it painted idk. Im in college now and work very part time. I dont know when I'll have the cash to get the paint job done, but I may let my father paint it he's pretty good with a cup gun, but he said he needs pratice first cause it's been a while. It all depends on how much our friend with the body shop wants to paint the car.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
Well it may be over a year before i can get it painted idk. Im in college now and work very part time. I dont know when I'll have the cash to get the paint job done, but I may let my father paint it he's pretty good with a cup gun, but he said he needs pratice first cause it's been a while. It all depends on how much our friend with the body shop wants to paint the car.
If your dad really has a friend or acquaintence who is a SME (subject matter expert) then wouldn't it be best to pose the question to him?

personally, if I couldn't paint the entire car within weeks of primer than I would simply sand and rattle can prime the damaged areas. Who cares how the car looks.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
If your dad really has a friend or acquaintence who is a SME (subject matter expert) then wouldn't it be best to pose the question to him?

personally, if I couldn't paint the entire car within weeks of primer than I would simply sand and rattle can prime the damaged areas. Who cares how the car looks.
I dont even have my replacement body panels yet so we didnt want to bother him about it yet. I think my dad is just gonna spray though because cash is short right now. My dad is pretty good with a cup gun after he gets going.