Price Estimates!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Price Estimates!?!?!

Been having a lot of trouble getting shops to return my calls or give me a good estimate. I've called and gone into shops in my area and have told them what I want done and then asked for an estimate. They see or hear what I drive and shy away and it's annoying, not able to even get a rough estimate ticks me off. Finding reliable people to work on the LT1 around here is a task!

So here's the info; needing my rear core plugs replaced and needing the WP drive shaft seal replaced again. Anyone know the price range? Mostly labor and I just don't want to hassle with it after 60hr work weeks in 100 degree weather!

This is the final thing I need to do before I start purchasing more goods. I've already grabbed some C6 Z06 replicas (gloss black, stainless lip and rivets) wrapped with 275's sitting in my garage...along with HID kit, blacked out parking lights and tail light shades. I really don't wanna throw things on as I'm spittin' oil and coolant.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by JGuy07
Been having a lot of trouble getting shops to return my calls or give me a good estimate. I've called and gone into shops in my area and have told them what I want done and then asked for an estimate. They see or hear what I drive and shy away and it's annoying, not able to even get a rough estimate ticks me off. Finding reliable people to work on the LT1 around here is a task!

So here's the info; needing my rear core plugs replaced and needing the WP drive shaft seal replaced again. Anyone know the price range? Mostly labor and I just don't want to hassle with it after 60hr work weeks in 100 degree weather!

This is the final thing I need to do before I start purchasing more goods. I've already grabbed some C6 Z06 replicas (gloss black, stainless lip and rivets) wrapped with 275's sitting in my garage...along with HID kit, blacked out parking lights and tail light shades. I really don't wanna throw things on as I'm spittin' oil and coolant.
are you talking about the ones on the back of the block? if so its going to be expensive, the tranny has to come out and the flywheel/flexplate has to come off. id charge at least 250$ labor but i have no overhead to pay.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Yup, needs the tran dropped...oh what fun!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

From working in a shop. It would be about $350-400.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Take the car in physically and ask for an estimate if the phone calls are not bearing fruit.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I've gone in to multiple places, they have all said basically the same thing when I go in. They tell me the person who handles estimates or money is out and I need to leave my info and they'll call me to let me know. They never call, even when I call to check there is never an answer.

But good news, talked to a guy in the CICC ( central indiana camaro club ) and him and another member have shops within 30 minutes of me and are going to help me out a bit. Just as soon as I can get it in though.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anyone at the desk should be able to look up the hours required to do a job like this. A pro with a hoist can remove a tranmission in about 30 minutes. I have done it faster in 3rd gens. But that is not what they will charge. They will charge book time.

The first thing that comes to mind is they do not want to do the work. Some garage like to say they are full service but when it comes to pulling engine and transmission they will quote a real high price so you go someplace else or just jerk you around till you go away.

A word of warning, If you tell the garage exactly what you want that is what you will get done, if it fixs the problem or not it does not matter. But if you pay them a half an hour to figure out what is wrong they are on the hook for the repair of your problem. If I know I am dealing with a decent mechanic I would say "I have a coolant leak I think may be coming from the freeze plugs, can you check it out?" Then later if it turns out the intake had a small leak that was leaking on to the plug they are going to cut you a break on intake job.

Your output seal on the dirve shaft is a prefect example. You tell them to replace the seal that is what they will do. you ask them to fix a trans leak they may come back and tell the output bearing and seal needs replace because the drive shaft has too much play in it.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-16-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have the same problem and my shop quoted me 400 plus parts (which is very little). So I would assume thats about what you would be looking at.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear member

I was literally just quoted $3065 for parts and labor...uhhhh

Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Overdrive Member

I know of a few mechanics that do not like to play with the LT1 engine. The main thing they do not like to fix is a leaking water pump seal. These things leak they take out the opti and alot of shops have a lifetime repair warranty. This means that if your seal leaks again the shop is not only out the work they did but also a new dizzy, which gets expensive. As for the other stuff like others have said you ask them to find out why you are leaking they will prolly be more receptive for the work. If you go in there knowing what exactly is wrong they will not always be receptive to doing the work as they dont want you comming back and complaining that the problem you asked to fix did not fix the issue.

Also note if you have leaking freeze plugs due to corrosion you will soon have more. The best thing to do in this case would be to replace them all which requires removal of the engine.

Massey