power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Above is many thingS i wish some would RESPONDE I AM THINKING ABOUT ANOTHER FORUM FOR MY ANSWERS ,THIS FORUM WICH I FEEL I HELPED ALOT HAS BEEN KINDA NOT HELPFUL WHEN I BEEN HEPLFUL,

MANY TIMES I AM JUST REPONDEING TO MY OWN POSTS ITS REDICULAS TO ME AN OTHER THREADS TOO PLUS THERE NOT MUCH FUN EITHER . SPEAKING MY MIND WHEN I FEEL LIKE I AM RIGHT,

I AM HEAR NEAR EVERY DAY ,TRYING TO HELP TO ,MY WRITEING IS MUCH IMPROVEDS OVER THE YEARS, IT SHOULD NOT BE LIKE THIS ,I GOT MORE HELP FROM THE GUY VIDEO GIVEING ME MORE HELP ON THIS ,BUT STILL NOT ENOUGH ,WHEN SOMEONE QUOTES ME I REPOND THINK THAT WHY I SEEN A TON OF GUYS COME HEAR AN SAY NOTHING GOING ON HEAR ,I WOULD PAY FOR THE RIGHT RESPONES

like right now whos hear mod ,an why does this forum have paying sponcers ,most days i am the only one hear ,i love helping people ,an dont ask for help that much ,i just wonder how this forum stays hear ,for its info i guess,couse active people is nill right now an most days,i guess its ls1 forum to get some answers .

i am one of those guys that feels like giveing back what was given ,but when it goes the other way something aint right,no wonder there are guys i have not seen in year now,plus i seen my share of threads never responed too,in all the generations.what happen to going forward this is the internet

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-02-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You posted a lot of information, I can't really answer anything because this is the first time I am seeing it. I can't really add to the stuff you are doing. On race cars the power steering cooling is not to increase the life of anything its to keep the fluid from boiling in high stress situation. If the fluid even starts to boil it cause the fluid to get bubbles in it. Fluid with air bubble in it will not work in a hydraulic application. You would instantly loose your power steering. A bad thing when it 100 degs out and you are on a small, lots of turns track.

I just check my 2000. I just have the regular hose, the lady I bought it from just let the dealer do everything so it did not come with the cooler. I don't know if this a year thing or an option thing.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-02-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
You posted a lot of information, I can't really answer anything because this is the first time I am seeing it. I can't really add to the stuff you are doing. On race cars the power steering cooling is not to increase the life of anything its to keep the fluid from boiling in high stress situation. If the fluid even starts to boil it cause the fluid to get bubbles in it. Fluid with air bubble in it will not work in a hydraulic application. You would instantly loose your power steering. A bad thing when it 100 degs out and you are on a small, lots of turns track.

I just check my 2000. I just have the regular hose, the lady I bought it from just let the dealer do everything so it did not come with the cooler. I don't know if this a year thing or an option thing.
thanks gorn,so we got the answer to that one,so its just choice if some wants it ,though if ones radiator is set up to have one guys are replacing them with aftermarket ones,i dont remember my lt1 haveing one is why i asked craby why he has one,i would guess to say the radiator on your 2000 does not have the extra inlets for hoses or there capped off ,

so i would say they dont need the cooler ,an those who have the gm cooler may want to delete it ,an go aftermarket or just cap off the rad or plug it ,i wonder to get a nice set up for this fix an choices if yours has the caps there below your hose

? it also seems those who have it seem to think they have to replace it with something like an aftermarket cooler ,being a cheap fix some what,i would also say that those who replace the gm cooler before they go save them self the trouble of haveing to flush the radiator an power steering pump issues

,so anyone with a 15 year old gm power steering cooler should replace it before it goes , makes sence to me ,when prolonged driveing with the leak could couse power steering to go,wich could couse thermostat to go water pump radiator to fail then the engine etc,

seems it was standard on the ss,an an option the z28 cars

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-02-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:11 PM
4th Gear Member

update on this power steering cooler on a 2002 z28 , it was an option for the z28,what i would do if you have a z28 with one ,or an ss they came stock ,an any 4th gen with one,take it off before this happens an save alot of aggrivation,cap it off or put an after market cooler ,most seem to put the after market cooler what i did..

That being said ,replaced the hoses thermostat after flush then flush again ,also found the power steering high pressure hose needed replaced ,was just a tiny leak.but pain to replace

one thing some guys dont mention is ,you need to buy the splice in hose kit to flush it an flush it alot ,i got like 99,9% out an figure the rest will burn off,but may flush it one more time ,there was nothing wrong with the thermostat, but replace anyway, biggest thing hear is let the water run through let it cool an flush the system as many times as it takes

so if i seen this thread or sticky i would get rid of the stock gm power steering cooler if you have one,couse then all you have to do is add the power steering cooler an top hose .an not worry about all the flushing ,the power steering res flushed out fine just ran about a Qt of fliud through it,

an save yourself a few days of head aches ,,couse there is the possibility of the PS pump failing an or your thermostat failing an couseing your radiator to go to,in my case i still plan on 3 core aluminum replacment couse i just dont like the stock ls1 radiator

one more thing was thought to take the stock gm PS cooler apart an see how they fail ,my system could not have been cleaner before it happened ,but best thing is get rid of the the gm one before i leaks cousing these kinda mess to happen,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.