power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM
4th Gear Member
Default power steering cooler

thank god for the net ,the day i bought the car 2002 z28 my friend noted a bit the res was low power steering ,an got oil in the rad ,oil is clean no moister at all on cap dry,oil looks clean as day one, then i seen the vidoes on the coolers going bad,i guess an aftermarket cooler is next then another flush mights well do bottom hose too .plenty of how to videos

Has anyone hear gone though this one ? an do i need the cooler its my understanding only certain cars came with them an finding a new one is not happening i know hose an cooler are like $50.00 ,seems to beat the dreaded head gasket thing,thanks guys

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-21-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I didn't even know it was a thing. I am hoping since the coolant in mine has been changed every 3 years that it will not be an issue. Please post back what you do. I am sure small amounts of coolant is not good for the power steering pump I doubt there is any soft babbit like material like is in your engine that it can eat. Also with coolant only going to 15 PSI and power steering going to 2000 PSI it does seem likely power steering fluid would pass to the coolant long before it went the other way.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-21-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i added a cooler the 93. didnt have one. i believe the pumps fail faster without. was replacing pump every few years.

Attached Thumbnails power steering cooler-p5250089.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM
4th Gear Member

some videos say it can happen at any time too, reason the coolant actually looked good in my car other then the blow off in the res tank PS fluid ,now this seems to be different yes the top hose has the metal tube there ,an it shows them takeing them out an replacing with aftermarket cooler ,if you have a solid rubber hose on top then you dont have one,wich its what i ordered to delete the old one an add aftermarket cooler supposed to be simple fix

Now my case is a bit different then an mabey couse winter my power steering fluid is in my radiator now seems not alot ,but not puting more back in there an not runing it till we can fix it ,as the cold weather came back,i think i have little of both in each but more in the rad then in power steering the one guys power steering was full of milk other was mix like mine ,but still both need to be flushed after

Now it talks about most people being releived that there is no head gasket issues ,do it myself is 68.00 fix including a new theromstat an houseing ,now it seems only certain cars v8 had them was an extra one could buy not sure trying to do more research as option ,but seems its no to big of a deal when compared the others .

so i am going to replace all the hoses flush it good many gallons of distiled water have been bought an my case the steering res is near empty now anyway wich is good ,seems in my case most of the excess PS fluid gets pushed to the res tank ,had rinsed like 3 times . inside the rad dont look to bad,looks like this, it is deeper in my z28 though after 2 flushes there is not alot in there ,but now just get spring on

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-22-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM
4th Gear Member

so this is what they are replaceing them with top an bottom hose hose an aftermarket cooler, in my case new thermostat housing dont need the houseing ,need to flush the power steering res after draining an flushing ,first though as well at end the radiator will need flusing,the new kit comes with hoseing to run the new cooler an the other dont forget a houseing gasket for the theromostat

the old one will be deleted ,replaced with stock hoses seen in pictures, the aftermarket one will replace the old one, so there is no chance of getting fluid in your steering res or coolant ,pretty simple one can bolt it to the air dam or the bottom on radiator frame the fix is bit over 100.00 will need all new anti freeze an flush too an power steering fluid done,one would say if you take it out before it happens,save haveing to flush both,an replaceing the hoses,i would say after any tiny little bit will burn off

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM
4th Gear Member

video

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
4th Gear Member

another video should do it they cover pretty much all one needs to due

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:40 PM
4th Gear Member

got all my parts now just a warm day,NOTE ? looks like some how i did not get any any
antifreeze in the power steering res ,but will flush it,noted one guy spent $2300.00 haveing his radiator boiled other things at dealer,seems excessive ,once one flushes things properly i would think the rest would burn off with run time, an from what i see ,this does not couse perminent damage ,but if you have one i would think about changing it before it happens

in my case it just happened from what i have seen ,guys are doing what you see in the videos ,an there fine,now for those that want to avoid it ,i would say just put in the aftermarket cool

Now that being said they say not all z28 cars had them ,? could it be that the top hose was just replaced then the the radiator capped off,dont no.. ANY THOUGHTS thanks

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:56 PM
4th Gear Member
Default ??? who dou some car have them an some not seems to be

Originally Posted by craby
i added a cooler the 93. didnt have one. i believe the pumps fail faster without. was replacing pump every few years.
? hear is your 1993 lt1 has a power steering cooler or had one,i dont remember my 95 lt1 having the ps cooler in it from gm.

i chatted with one guy in the video who said he forgot to change the thermostat an not long after had to replace the radiator in his ,i got the houseing an thermostat with gasket ready to go with all new hoses,an alot of distilled water

Now the biggest question seems to be ,why some cars have them some dont ,is it becouse some deleted it <then capped of the 2 holes, also would think some guys that have them would have to wonder ,when will it go the ps cooler that is from gm, an why some would not due it before it happens the coolant in that car was not bad until the leak on mine ,seems to be some question ,about this
How due people just think that changing an flushing the coolant every 3 years keeps the gm cooler from failing?? thanks input hear

I am planing to flush my PS res too turkey baister

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-01-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I didn't even know it was a thing. I am hoping since the coolant in mine has been changed every 3 years that it will not be an issue. Please post back what you do. I am sure small amounts of coolant is not good for the power steering pump I doubt there is any soft babbit like material like is in your engine that it can eat. Also with coolant only going to 15 PSI and power steering going to 2000 PSI it does seem likely power steering fluid would pass to the coolant long before it went the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw52HfSf6As
sorry i but i feel like this thread is getting neglected ,i have been asking an put thoughts suggestions Quotes an its like you guyys are ignoring me just like in the begiing,pleace iwan to some help on this thanks anyone,you must get the emAIL LIKE ME

Quick Reply: power steering cooler