Plug and wire choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Plug and wire choice

So I just ordered some cheap NGK sparksand 8.2 Wires. Gonna try to install them with a friend this weekend. Wish me luck.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I just changed out all my plugs and wires last weekend on my 3.8. Here are some tips. The very back plug on the driver side needs to be changed from under the car, it's probably the easiest plug to change once the cars up in the air. When changing the middle plug on the driver side you can't really fit a socket wrench up there to get it on the plug soyou might need your friend down under the car to help guide the socket onto the plug while your under the hood with the socket in your hand (you will need a socket extender to change this one because of the exhaust manifold). The very front plug on the driver side can just be changed from under the hood though you may need somone under it to help guide the socket with the new plug into the plug hole (you may need the extender for this plug also). Now the very back plug on the passenger was the biggest pain for me to change. You'll need either you or a buddy under it while the other guy is under the hood.Since your limited room you will have to first put an extender on the socket then put that on the plug (from underneath the car) then once thats on good whoever is under the car has to reach the socket wrench up to the end of the socket extender (which is now on the plug) while the person under the hood reached their hand down to push the button on the back of the socket wrench to put the two together. This was the hardest part and it's all because there is no room behind the socket wrench for the person under the car to put their finger behind to push the button to put the two together. The new plug needs to be put on in the same way. The middle plug on the passenger side you need to change from under the hood. Once again you will need a socket extender on it in order for the socket to be fully on the plug and still be clear of the exhaust manifold. You may need your friend under it to kind of guide the new plug in since it's such a tight fit. Last but not least the front plug on the passenger side. This plug is changed from under the hood and is also very easy to change. If you have any questions about this feel free to ask.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like I'll need to get a socket extender for this. Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, I did the plugs a couple of days ago with a friend of mine, and it took us six and a half hours, just as was predicted by many. Car is noticably stronger now, and runs smoother, but still isn't perfect (probably due to my MAF sensor being bad, and my tranny slipping). The hardest plugs to change were the middle ones on both sides. First we couldn't find enough space to fit the socket and the wrench on the plugs even with the extender. Then we figured out a way to do so with my buddy loweding the socket from the top and me mounting it onto the plug from under the car, but it kept sliding off the plug ever time we tried to turn it because of the weird angle it was at. I dont know how, but finally it worked.We finished at 12:30 at night.

So thanks to everybody here for your tips. You saved me a good $150 on mechanic's labor.