please help with cam issue (z28pete?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Default please help with cam issue (z28pete?)

hey peeps..

im hell bent on about buying this custom camshaft of a dude that owns a shop and works on camaros.. he had this cam on his lt1, toke it apart and sold it to this other dude i know.. now hes got it back and i might buy it...

on the 2 cars they have tried it on it has given them monstrous power.. with the aid of some other simple boltons like air intake and axle gears crank pully etc..

the last guy using this cam on his lt1 said he used to smoke c5 corvettes with ls1's , he had this cam with a 3.7 axle gear and long hooker headers ONLY! is that possible?

its an LT1 camshaft that comes with valve springs and 1.6 rockers
my only concirn is the lifts

lift: 610
lift2: 612
loop: 114

what can anyone tel me about this setup on a complete internally stock engine..

keep in mind i already have
most boltons.. B&M short shifter, MAF k&n air system edelbrock short headers 58 mm bbk throttle and a flowmaster and a crank pully...

what are my HP estimations at?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: please help with cam issue (z28pete?)

can't help much with that info. get me every possible cam spec and we can start talking. whats your definition of "montrous power?"

Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

that is waaaaaay too much lift for a stock lt1. thats more than I run in my cam, and I run a high lift cam even for stock cubed ls1.

if you run that you will need to notch pistons, and i dont realy know if your heads will support a cam that big.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

that's why i was asking to get all the specs on the cam. a pretty common stock headed cam is the cc503 and i wanna say the lift is in the 530's...i may be a little off. if those lift numbers are truly correct...you will never get full power out of that cam. that's pushin the limit of a 383 i'd even say

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Overdrive Member

HOLY CRAP! If those are legit specs that cam has MONSTROUS lift, no way you can run that on a stock LT1, and if you did it wouldn't last you too long. I agree with Whammer, we need more info on the cam (intake/exhaust duration etc.)

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 AM

sorry guys, thats the only info i got about the cam.. i doubt if the owner even knows any more about it...

bu im REALLY really thinking of installing this cam with its springs and 1.6 rockers.... cant i? iv seen it on an internally stock lt1 as i said.. and if i used it why wouldn't it last me long as slvr said? and what are the damage risks

thanks for efforts

Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Ninja Administrator

i dont think u need anything.
lift only comes in 2 varieties. lobe lift and valve lift. its already too high for valve lift which means its about 2-3 times what lobe lift should be.

no duration numbers will fix that. duration numbers will just tell us if its a blower cam or a stroker NA cam.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM

ok peeps, i just brought a cam...nothing like what i mentioned above... its like new.. used for two weeks only and brought 1.6 crane roller rockers

its a comp cam

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

please can someone tel me about this cam and give me feed back.. as i said i run an internally stock engine with boltons

id like to read all of your opinions about this cam and the rockers and the two together im going with as a setup ( i am new to cams )
and will i get that rumble racing noise?

thanks a ton

Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Ninja Administrator

wow, u went in the complete other direction...... thats a TON of duration.

you really should be looking for something in the 210-220 duration area. 244 is getting a little ridiculous.
lift isnt bad though

Old 11-13-2008, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

wow, u went in the complete other direction...... thats a TON of duration.

you really should be looking for something in the 210-220 duration area. 244 is getting a little ridiculous.
lift isnt bad though
thx Specter for helping out, u seem to know your camshafts.. this is so frustrating... now i'm being told not to install the one i brought, i should get a .510 .510 lift cam??

so what now

Quick Reply: please help with cam issue (z28pete?)