please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM

houston tx

Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Overdrive Member

Aaaaggghhhh...

Alright, I'm usually not really picky about these sort of things, but can we work on editing posts instead of making 5 posts in a row by the same person? It's really not that hard...

Second, you can get the VATS system programmed out of the PCM, I don't know why you would do this when you can probably get a lock cylinder and key from the dealer for about the same price and have security when you're done. The reason the key they provided at the auto-parts store isn't working is because they key doesn't have the VATS resistor pellet in it. The car will not even turn over without the pellet. Personally, if I were purchasing a car I would want it to have a factory lock cylinder and key, not some jerry-rigged together one. Just my $0.02.

Edit: There, I fixed them all...see how much nicer that is...

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 03-05-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
4th Gear Member

I may get stationed in Fort Hood Texas here pretty soon. If I do i will buy it from you.... just dont jerry rig it...

Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 AM

ok its not jerry rigged it has the same consruction that the factory one has material wise it comes with what they call dummy keys
the ecu would be a good idea because u can program every parameter of the system
the vats system can be overriden and still keep functionality of the security system
i was hoping i could get some positive insight from some members that would love to share their insight on the subject
but instead i got hated on and treated like an idiot because u thought i had no idea about what i was saying even though u had no idea what i was talking about which u should know if u have an input about this subject
scroll back and see what i wrote how would i know about this stuff then first hand
like i said i wanted some other opinions instead i got negativity from someone that"doesnt know"
the cylinder wasnt bad for one so that was not a good place to tell me too start
i just replace everything new when u buy a key cylinder from an auto parts supplier which ever one it may be they wont give u a chipped key because they dont have a so called intteragator/reader to measure the resistance values in the pellet/actually resistor is the right term thats all it is
besides the 15 different resistor values gm made they would have too guess and it wouldnt work to pass the vehicle anti theft system
so they give u dummy keys to get the cut right
the right way too do it is buy the cylinder like i did then get it cut with the chipped key
so how is it jerry rigged????????????????????????
enough about that
that sir is why i am doneeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95slvrz28
u are right i got the cylinder new which i got from the auto parts store which is same cunstruction but u save some money the key i can get they are only 15 dollars a peice i have 8 of them i just have too get the value of the resistance i hope one of the keys i have will hold the same value then they will work nothing is jerry rigged here everything new
i can cut it myself i do it all the time when i have reposession orders from general motors i cut them
i just replaced the cylinder because they go bad so i just went new and the key will be new also still retaining the vats system in the automobile
i wanted some good advice thats why i asked this question if u just say i was wondering what was better you get people that get on and say things they heard from others i wanted some insight from some people and see how others would respond
me myself i am going too do the ecu myself later on down the road and put switches for security like i do the others i have done switches are cheap and u havent too worry about the security system letting u down when it decides too let down
i hope this is clear and u can understand fully what i am trying too say

Last edited by illusiveperformance; 03-06-2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: adding too the existing
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM
4th Gear Member

No dude... you insist on making it harder on yourself and not listen to anything anyone is saying... But whatever, you know more than me i guess... kuz i never had a similar problem.... You asked for opinions and I told you what would be wise.. instead of going through and working your way around the current security system by bypassing it, it would be wise to just get a new lock cyl and key. But go ahead, do as you wish.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM

my key got bent. I had to get a new one ant the dealership for like 17 dollars. its definatley the chip on the key. Its actually a resistor that collaborates with the ECU and the Anti-Theft system. When you put the key in the igniton if the ECU and Theft system don't read the correct Ohms, it wont start. I would suggest going to a GM dealership, getting the whole key and lock cylinder setup, and having them run your VIN number to see what resistance your key should read. Then have them cut you a new one. Thats all i had to do..

Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah, but now hes replaced the lock cylinder. So he has to find out what resistor he needs for that and then get new keys cut with the resistor of the right value in them. Its not hard you are right, he just wants to do thing his own way/ the hard way.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Overdrive Member

The VATS system is separate from the actual lock cylinder, so he just needs to find out what resistor value he needs. Once that is done he can either do the VATS resistor pellet bypass procedure outlined here:

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

Or get the correct key with the correct pellet in it.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan66
Yeah, but now hes replaced the lock cylinder. So he has to find out what resistor he needs for that and then get new keys cut with the resistor of the right value in them. Its not hard you are right, he just wants to do thing his own way/ the hard way.
no its not that i want it done the hard way its just i would rather put a new lock cylinder in
i wanted a key with atleast a different cut because someone might have my keys out there somewhere whoever found my keys that is i have keys too 7 different cars and my bike on that ring i lost

Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok? So you just need new keys with a new resistor. why would you try and go wire around the anti theft system just because you want a new cut?

Honestly, Im just trying to help you out. You are right someone out there has keys to your car, but if you wire around the anti theft system to cut out the use of the VATs system they wont need your keys if they know how to hot wire a car or break the ignition.

Last edited by Spartan66; 03-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.