please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Default please help

ok heres the deal i lost my keys to my camaro its a 94 z28 a4 so i went too autozone and got another key cylinder in it and put it all together when i try too start it the security light flshes and it wont turn over crank or anything what could be the problem? all the guages work and all that but starter doesnt engage

Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Bad lock cylinder or you dont have it installed right..
do you have a factory auto theft system?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
4th Gear Member

The chip that was in the key tells the security system its ok to start. Just getting a key that fits wont work you need a new chip or w/e its called. Cost me like 175 bucks i think but i cant remember.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

There are certain set resistor values for the VATS Pellet (the black chip on your key) that enable the car to start. If you had one of the keys you could use a ohm-meter to find the resistor value and bypass the VATS system. Since you don't have your keys though you're going to have to take Spartan's advice and go get a new key made from a dealer.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 AM

the key lock cylinder i got from autozone goes too my car it isnt installed wrong either it has a factory auto theft system
also the keys that came with the lock dont have a chip in them u think thats what it is
but shouldnt the starter at least turn over just not run?

also i disconnected the battery too install the key cylinder does disconnecting the battery mess with the vats system i heard if i disconnect the battery at any time then i willl have to get it reset at the dealer because it wont recognize the chip
also how do i bypass it just hook up a resistor from electronics store will that confuse the system?

also if i go get a key from the dealer it wont work with the new lock i put in and i broke my old one trying too pry it out lol

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 03-05-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clean Up Thread
Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 AM
4th Gear Member

I haven no idea what you are talking about. But if you ever want to drive your camaro again go to the dealership and get a key and if need be a lock cyl that will work. You cannot start the car as is WITHOUT the VATS resistor.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM

what about reprogramming the ecu?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Member

/facepalm...... Do you have an infinite budget to spend on your ignition? Just go to the dealership and tell them what you need.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 AM

ok i dont want too spend 400 on a key/cylinder when i might be able to get my ecu reprogrammed so if u dont know what i am saying why post in this thread facepalm ur self

if i get it reprogrammed then i can use the keys i bought for it and i dont have to worry about the vats system and all that as its going now i am thinking about selling for 1200firm just to get it out of here clean title also

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 03-05-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Clean Up Thread
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
4th Gear Member

If you want to reprogram it go ahead... that will cost more than a lock cylinder and the key with the matching resistor.

IF you want to just jerry rig your ignition be my guest... part of owning a car is paying for the proper repairs. if you want to skip out on that and make it easier for someone else to steal your camaro then go ahead... and good luck selling it to anyone who knows anything about late model GMs...

This website will tell you how get around the VATs... It took me forever to find too.. i actually had to go to google and type in "camaro vats system"... *whew*....
http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

Since you dont want to do things right, go there and do what they tell you and tell me how long it takes you/how much you spend...

Im just trying to help you man. You dont seem to want to listen to anything anyone says... If bypassing the VATs system was easy and a good idea, dont you think everyone would have suggested that right off the bat?

Originally Posted by illusiveperformance
if i get it reprogrammed then i can use the keys i bought for it and i dont have to worry about the vats system and all that as its going now i am thinking about selling for 1200firm just to get it out of here clean title also
Sell its for 1200 then. Let someone else spend a couple bucks on fixing it right before you turn it into an expensive fix to get the VATs re-activated..

Hell, on that note where do you live? Ive got 1200 to spend and miss my old 94. Ill buy it from you and spend a couple bucks on the VATs

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 03-05-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clean Up Thread