Pinion Ring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Pinion Ring Problem

Hey Guys I have a problem I would like your help with. I have a 2002 V6 Camaro with an automatic trans. In november I had the pinion ring replaced because the rear end was leeking fluid. The other day I discovered that it is still leaking fluid. I took it back to the shop and they are now saying that it was not the pinion seal that was leeking but it is the Yoke because the inside of the yoke is not connecting with what ever it should inside the rear axle. Please help I dont know if these guys are trying to screw me. They said I would only have to pay for the part and no labor but that is still 170. because of corse the local Gm dealer is the only one who has one. I looked at the yoke and it looked fine to be but I dont really know what I am looking at....PLEASE HELP.

Correction: Its not the part of the Yoke that connects to the drive shaft. The other end that slides into the rear axle housing is where they are saying that it does not contact and that is why it is leaking. Would a speedy sleeve help with this?

Last edited by chrisgray86; 01-24-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Overdrive Member

First off if the yoke was not connected to the pinion you would not even be able to drive the car. Second if the yoke or pinion (which ever rides on the seal) is warn down too much (grooved) then yes there will not be a good seal. This can be fixed in 2 ways, 1: a new yoke or pinion, or 2: a speedy sleeve that is usually available from Fel Pro. The Speedy sleeve is a good thing but they are not perfect and can wear or come out down the road. They are better than nothing tho. I dont know if the guy at your shop was just not explaining stuff to you very well or he was just clueless and trying to screw you.

Massey

Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think there must be a break down in communication, and some lost terminology. If the guy was trying to screw you, he'd hit you for labor too. When replacing the pinion seal (it rides against the yoke btw), there's a right and a wrong way to remove and replace the yoke. Hopefully, they knew what they were doing. For fun, have them check to make sure the housing vent isn't plugged.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by chrisgray86
Correction: Its not the part of the Yoke that connects to the drive shaft. The other end that slides into the rear axle housing is where they are saying that it does not contact and that is why it is leaking. Would a speedy sleeve help with this?

If it is so worn out that it does not even touch the seal then I would say replace the yoke. If it just does not seal tight enough to prevent the oil from seeping by then the speedy sleeve will help. Also note that even if the yoke is good but the vent is plugged oil will be forced around any of the seals.

Massey