out of gas...now wont start??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Default out of gas...now wont start??

I ran out of gas the other night in Miami. I pushed pettle down until every drop was out. I paid some people to go and get gas. I put 3 gallons in and tried to start it for about 30 mins. It would not start. It just sounds like its cranking, not wanting to start at all. I had AAA tow it from Miami back home to Vero Beach (3hrs north) and it still won't start. Some people said it was my fuel pump that is stuck. Some said it was the stuff at the bottom of my tank clogging my fuel pump. Some people said it was air in the fuel pump. Anyone know why this happened? Please, any info would be much appreciated.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: out of gas...now wont start??

I had the same thing happen to me with my car. I had air in my fuel lines, most likely my fuel rail. I am assuming it was because the fuel pump was no longer sucking fuel and started to actually suck vapors. What I did was bleed my fuel lines. There should be a spot on your fuel rail to do this. Mine looks like a tire valve. you can press the (much like pressing into a tire valve stem) to release the air and allowing fuel to enter. I would look into it more to make sureit is your problem.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Droid

Good chance you killed the fuel pump. In tank pumps use the fuel for lubrication and cooling. Check the fuel pressure, if pressure is bad try changing the fuel fiter, if stil bad, change pump.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

or here is another ideal i don't know y but in my yukon i ran it dry and aaa came out with only 2 1/2 gallons of fuel and it woundn't start so we had them call another trk out with more gas and after a few min with 5 gals in it,, it then started so that might b an ideal to try but i would have to say feul pump,fillter or rails cause u sucked everything in that tank through the lines and something is bound to clog...

Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear member

well if it is still not running..... try to bleed the line, have a friend crank the car a few times while bleeding the fuel valve on top of your motor, otherwise, these damn GM fuel pumps are ****...... replace it and the filter at the same time, if you wanna do it yourself theres a thread around here somewhere i think on how to do it yourself, i cut a hole in my trunk inside and made a latch so that i could swap it out easier.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Overdrive Member

The GM OEM ones are Delphi brand -- I am going to try Bosch this time... FOr performance I was told Holly pumps are good, but IDK.

ORIGINAL: 94Red

well if it is still not running..... try to bleed the line, have a friend crank the car a few times while bleeding the fuel valve on top of your motor, otherwise, these damn GM fuel pumps are ****...... replace it and the filter at the same time, if you wanna do it yourself theres a thread around here somewhere i think on how to do it yourself, i cut a hole in my trunk inside and made a latch so that i could swap it out easier.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM
4th Gear Member

Isnt Miami a big city with lots of gas stations? I usually dont let my Z go below 1/4 tank.