Okay boys....time to wiegh some options

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you measured (just a tape measure) from a fixed location on the rear axle (maybe something on the backing plate) on the passangers side to the lower ball joint on the passangers side. Then did the same location the same way on the drivers side. Compair the measurments. Then measure from a fixed location on the passangers rear axle to the drivers side lower ball joints. Then find a matching location on the drivers side of the rear axle and measure to the passangers side lower ball joint. This will form a X. These measurement should be pretty close to equal. Because you have access to the Trans Am you could even compair the measurments to that car.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

cool, well i know what im doing after work! let you guys know the results by this evening.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For cross measuring, I wouldn't go from the rear axle, that could be slightly out from having worn bushings or even being slightly tweaked. The rearend isn't always hanging perfectly from side to side in reference to the frame, and that'll throw your measurement off. Using a stationary spot like the control arm mount on the frame would be a much more accurate reference point.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

hey auto, sounds good with the repair, but like gorn said, make sure the engine etc is straight before you sink money into it. As long as the only bit bent is forwards of the k-member are then it shouldn't affect the suspension geometry or have bent the top mounts. If the dude at the shop can do it for that price then thats good.

also do what gorn and camaro69 said, get a measure from front the back on either side and also cross measure too. For left rear to right front and vice versa

Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

didnt measure yet, but question about airbags, lets say i get two and the module, is it as easy as that? or will it need to be re programmed before the car starts? i heard this from someone

Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

anyone know what size is it to take off the driver airbag?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

air bags, mine dont have any now. I removed the cradle on the passenger side and cut the drivers one out and re-glued the plastic front be. To ship to UK I would have to pay $800 charges cause airbags are explosive. Thats each airbag

Ill get a momo wheel soon and the passenger dash piece just glued back in. And I too the LED out of the dash and soldered across the terminals hahahah

On a serious note if you want to put them in you need the modules and an ECU reset I thinks. Oh an from what I remember the size to remove the 4 bolt/screws are either 7mm bolt, or a star key thing. I believe its the latter

Last edited by maudyZ28; 03-08-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

hey! so it would need to be reset before the car runs? so if i buy a set , i should take the module to a dealer and reset it before installing it in a car?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The car will run without air bags, but your air bag light will be flashing. Here in IL, a car owner isn't required by law to replace blown air bags. But if they need to be functional to pass an inspection, then you need to get them working.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

but if i swap out my airbags and bcm, would the car run then?

Quick Reply: Okay boys....time to wiegh some options