Okay boys....time to wiegh some options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Okay boys....time to wiegh some options

well guys, its seems Im at the end of this saga. looks like i`ll only be getting 3k for the camaro. alot of folks are telling me dont fix it, whiles some are telling me fix it. really want the camaro back, however i want to weigh some options ...buy another one? get a front clip and go with this one again? or should i look for one with a blown engine and put my engine/tranny/rear/interior in it? im at a stand still here, help guys. (friday afternoon im getting camera happy so you guys get some angles of what i have here)

I was thinking alot of getting one with a blown engine, but trouble is where can i find one? camaros are extremely rare where i am.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3K is the retail book value? You get to keep your car? Will it be salvage title? If I remember right your car was hit pretty hard and had frame damage. Where are you at that you can not find a doner car?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah they were smart, since he went and hit a few cars, they considered all to fall under a single accident and divide the ****ty low amount policy x amount of ways. Im in NYC gorn, tons of foriegn cars, even the junkyards we have cater mostly for toyota and honda,n yep I keep the car.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

book value was about 6500

Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

wow man u are getting f'd I say keep it and get a new front clip for it and try an repair the damage. I think I saw your pics on your other thread, If they offered u book value for it I woulda said take it towards a new Maro but not at that value.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

yea i guess i got buggered pretty good. Im leaning on getting a clip too. camaros that i see that are in the same condition like mine are at least 10,500. body guy coming in the morning so we shall see, he said its repairable, but tomorrow i guess he is going to go over it with a fine tooth comb and i will really know where i stand. so anyone know of any donor cars or car with a blown engine or tranny that i can swap?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wouldn't settle for that amount from the insurance company. A lot of times they'll low-ball you, it's their job to pay as little as they can get away with on a claim. How do you think the big insurance companies can afford to line their lobby walls with that nice looking marble?
You need to pitch a royal fit, and show what other ones like yours are selling for. Everything is negotiable.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I wouldn't settle for that amount from the insurance company. A lot of times they'll low-ball you, it's their job to pay as little as they can get away with on a claim. How do you think the big insurance companies can afford to line their lobby walls with that nice looking marble?
You need to pitch a royal fit, and show what other ones like yours are selling for. Everything is negotiable.
Sounds like this guy hit his max payout. Every insurance policy has a max. My guess there are dozens of cars. The lawyer must have add up the total and gave every one their cut, about 40 cents on the dollar. I have seen it before with larger pickup trucks. Drunk drivers can do a lot of damage in a 3500 Dually before the truck will not go anymore.

Auto, Have you checked with your insurance? did you have full coverage? Under insured motorists should be covered. Meaning they would make up the difference.

How are you at working on cars? how are you fixed for tools? A place to work on it. If I remember right you car has a fair amount of frame/unibody damage to it. This will not come with the clip its part of the chassie and will need repaired. If you plan on fixing this car you will want to find a shop that is willing to do the frame repair. This will be a challange. They can get the car back into spec but it sure is nice if you find a small issue while fitting the fenders or hood just to tweak it and make it right on the frame machine.

There is a reason they told you the car was totaled. Like I said in the other post expect to find other problems. I have seen car that came from bodyshop that where "fixed" that need another $800-1000 worth of suspension and steering repair that no one in the bodyshop noticed until the test drive. In your last post I think I said the repair would be about 8K. That assumed a used clip and $1500 for frame and rad support repair.

I checked Craigs list in NY-NY and you are right for the amount of posts there are there are very few Camaros. Do you have access to a pick truck that can tow? LS1 Camaro do show up with blown motors. You might have to wait a little. It took me 6 months to find a V6 with a blown motor what was well taken care of.

Last option, You car is worth some money. Complete LS1 drive lines bring good money. My guess would be 2K add that to your 3K and you have a true 5K down on another Camaro. Sure you would have gotten more then that in trade but a upfront 5K cash is worth as much or more then a 7K trade in. I know this will not be the popular route but the above option will cost a lot of money and a lot of time. If something takes a pro in a shop 50 hours to do expect it to take a amature 200 hours.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Was the insurance settlement they would give you $3k and you keep the car? I was thinking $3k was the payout and there was still a buy-back amount. If $3k and the car is the deal you got, then it doesn't sound all that bad considering the value of the drivetrain alone.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

sorry i dont know much legal **** but cant you still sue the owner of the other car? they will garnish his wages i think, invest in lawyer

Quick Reply: Okay boys....time to wiegh some options