ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

no its suppose to be pass the red and 13.8-14.3 when running. I think i at this point you messed up your battery again.

Last edited by RFxCamaro; 12-04-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the gage will drop when the starter is ingaged and once the motor starts you will see a spike in volts untill the alternator charges the battery back up. check whats going on with a volt meter to be sure, these gages can give false readings.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

True on the false readings try using a dmm. Have you disconnected the amp yet?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont think the battery is dead, or a bad alternator, must be a bad ground somewhere i noticed today when I hit a bump the volts went down and the lights dimmed then the volts jumped back up.This car reminds me of a 86 pontiac fiero i once had, had weird problems. Only this one i wont give up on.

thanks for all the help guys.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

just remember to sand paint off anywhere you connect a ground

Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

At this point, disconnect anything electrical that is NOT STOCK (yes, that means your amp, so you won't be able to vibrate the cars around you for a little while), and get your battery tested to make sure you haven't drained it.
Remember, alternators do not act like generators out of old cars... they cant handle a huge drain on a battery and fully re-charge it. This would be why a couple people are telling you to make sure your battery is in fully charged condition.
Once you have eliminated all non stock items, continue to evaluate the electrical performance of the vehicle. If its fine, start adding items back one at a time until the problem returns. It's not going to be a quick diagnosis, but it should give you the answer you need.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

had battery and alternator tested this morning and both came out good, the problem starts usually after a 20 minute drive. The only way to get the volts back up are to turn the cooling fans off, the fans are controlled by turning the ac on. if that helps any.
And ill be disconnecting my amp today.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Check your fan circuit to see if one of the motors is drawing too much current. Do you have a multi-meter?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

no sir, but everything here is leading me to believe it is one of the fans, I was going to replace them anyways, do you know what the CFM is rated on the stock fans?
The reason I believe it is the fans, is when the fans are off, volts never go down and keeps steady above 13, when the fans are on, seems like the battery begins to drain, as I watch the volt gauge slowly go down.

Last edited by ChevyManCam; 12-05-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No, I don't know what the CFM rating is, but that wasn't what I was suggesting you check.
Do yourself a favor and go pick up a cheap multimeter... $20. It will help you greatly in the future. What you should be looking for is the overall current draw of the individual fans. I don't know what amp readings they should give, but somebody with the same year and options as yours should be able to give you that answer.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!