Oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil pressure switch

The car is a 95 Z28 LT1.

How many wires should the plug have that connects to the oil pressure switch?

Also if you unplug the oil pressure switch and your oil still max's out when you start there care, is this a wire problem?

I ask about the wires because my plug only as 1 wire and does not seem right to me. The engine is the second engine for the car (odd for a car with only 130k, but hey i got a new engine haha). So not sure if maybe they damaged the wires to the oil pressure switch.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions, trying to trace down this bug in the system.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

My 94 Z only had one wire.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Should be a single wire. I believe its tan. Try this test. Remove the gauge cluster. Find the tan wire that goes to the sender. Cut it. Now run a wire from the sender end to the wire you cut that goes into the cluster. Turn the engine on and see if it works. youll know pretty much as soon as you put the key in the on position because it wont bury or peg.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Z's
Should be a single wire. I believe its tan. Try this test. Remove the gauge cluster. Find the tan wire that goes to the sender. Cut it. Now run a wire from the sender end to the wire you cut that goes into the cluster. Turn the engine on and see if it works. youll know pretty much as soon as you put the key in the on position because it wont bury or peg.
Thanks for the suggestion, i was thinking something along those lines. I noticed when i pulled on the wire to the sender, and turn the key on and then off the gauge would drop down until started(then peg out again). After starting it, it then go's back to staying pegged to max.

I'll get on this in the morning if i have some wire left in the garage.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Usually when it's pegged to max, it's the sensor itself or the wire at the sensor.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Usually when it's pegged to max, it's the sensor itself or the wire at the sensor.
Yeah.

What i find odd( correct me if im wrong), but with the wire unplugged the gauge should not stay pegged to max? This is what leads me to think the wire is damaged possibly.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by wayne242
Yeah.

What i find odd( correct me if im wrong), but with the wire unplugged the gauge should not stay pegged to max? This is what leads me to think the wire is damaged possibly.
Mine was but I couldnt find where, so I just ran a new one to the cluster like I described.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Z's
Mine was but I couldnt find where, so I just ran a new one to the cluster like I described.
Is it possible to locate that wire under the dash without removing the cluster?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
4th Gear Member

With the wire unplugged, it should stay pegged. Any time there's a problem where the gauge doesn't receive a signal (bad sensor, broken sensor, burned wire, etc), it pegs to max.

I'm sure you could run the wire under the dash, but it's a much cleaner install doing it the stock way. Yeah, it takes a while, but it'll help any future owners later in the cars life. I would check out the wire first and if it checks good, I would replace the sensor as they aren't more than $20 at a parts store.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
With the wire unplugged, it should stay pegged. Any time there's a problem where the gauge doesn't receive a signal (bad sensor, broken sensor, burned wire, etc), it pegs to max.

I'm sure you could run the wire under the dash, but it's a much cleaner install doing it the stock way. Yeah, it takes a while, but it'll help any future owners later in the cars life. I would check out the wire first and if it checks good, I would replace the sensor as they aren't more than $20 at a parts store.
Yeah, think I'll replace the sensor Monday since I don't work. If that don't fix it, I'll do the wire thing. I just did not have enough time today to pull the cluster out.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure switch