Oil light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Default Oil light coming on

98 camaro 3.8 sometimes when I go to start the car the oil light comes on if I turn the car off and start it again the oil light stays off...I recently had the oil changed and only drove the car less then 400 miles...about 2 weeks after the oil change was done I opened up the dash to replace the ignition wire... after this is when I noticed the oil light problem...could have I did something wrong in the process... checked oil pressure and it's fine...any info is greatly apperciated

Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Droid

Which oil light are you talking about? Oil level, Oil change, Oil pressure?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by z28pete
Which oil light are you talking about? Oil level, Oil change, Oil pressure?
The oil light that comes on is low oil...checked oil pressure it is fine and checked low oil and it is also fine...not sure what this is....so in the mist of all this with the oil problem...now I have a fuel problem...nice huh...looks like my fuel pump is on it's way out...I was driving and almost lost total power so pulled over check engine light flashing on and off....waited a few then drove home...ran tests and it burn out coils 3 & 6...replaced those and it was ok for about 15 minutes...drove around for a little while and when I go to pull in the driveway I hear a squealing sound coming from the back of the car...almost like a distant tornado siren...once again she looses power and now sounds like a big piece of poop...also has a very rich smell of gas...any info is greatly apperciated thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Droid

The oil level lamp is controlled by the oil level sending unit bolted on the side of the oil pan. If the oil level is OK, then the sending unit is most likely bad.
The flashing trouble light indicates heavy misfire, probably due to low fuel pressure, considering that the fuel pump is making all that noise. Just to make sure, check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. The fuel pump is a PIA to change, so you want to make sure it is bad.
When an engine misfires, for whatever reason, raw fuel gets dumped into the exhaust system. Besides making a stink, it overwhelms the cat and causes it to overheat and eventually break down.