No lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Default No lights

'94 Z28 convertible. I fiddled around with the dimmer switch because high beams didn't work. Now no headlights at all. Is it possible something I did would affect the lights? Or do I have a new problem?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear member

You haven't given enough information to know what you might have done when "Fiddling". The fact that the lights do not come on at all indicates to me that the dimmer switch may not be your problem. The dimmer switch only controls a power source to the high beams, but its voltage source is the same as the low beam from the light switch and neither would work if the switch contacts were bad. I would suggest checking the light switch for correct operation and supply voltage using the drawings attached. You don't say whether your car is equipped with Daytime Running Lights, but I'm assuming that it does. Probably wouldn't hurt to check for voltage and a ground at the headlights with the switch in the on position to rule out a bad ground at the lights.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1994 Headlight Diagram.pdf (141.7 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by peterpar; 06-26-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM

Thank you. I know just enough about cars to be dangerous, obviously. From my research I knew there was a rod running along the steering column to a switch that controls the high beam. I tried getting under the dash to adjust that rod, but really couldn't get under the dash far enough to do it right. Whatever I did, the high beams worked for like, a day or two. (When pulling back on the turn signal stalk, it clicked and they worked) But after only a couple of uses, the high beam didn't click again. But i at least had headlights still. Then about a week later, no headlights. Only parking lights and fog lights (No daytime running lights).
Originally Posted by peterpar
You haven't given enough information to know what you might have done when "Fiddling". The fact that the lights do not come on at all indicates to me that the dimmer switch may not be your problem. The dimmer switch only controls a power source to the high beams, but its voltage source is the same as the low beam from the light switch and neither would work if the switch contacts were bad. I would suggest checking the light switch for correct operation and supply voltage using the drawings attached. You don't say whether your car is equipped with Daytime Running Lights, but I'm assuming that it does. Probably wouldn't hurt to check for voltage and a ground at the headlights with the switch in the on position to rule out a bad ground at the lights.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, you're going to have to determine where you have power and where you don't. The easiest place would be to pull the connector from the dimmer switch at the base of the column and check for 12V between the yellow wire in connector and a ground with the headlight switch in the on position. No voltage here indicates the problem could be in the headlight switch or the yellow wire coming from that switch. If you have 12V there, check to make sure you have a ground at the headlights or maybe a possible broken yellow wire out to them.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1994 Dimmer Switch.pdf (113.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:32 PM

Thanks!