No front plate + tints

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default No front plate + tints

hey guys, i've been driving around with no front plate and illegal tints for about a year now and just got my first tickets for both at the same time. Are either of these considered moving violations and will it affect my insurance? I live in ny so can anyone tell me how much fines are for both of these and whether it would be better to just pay it through mail or go to court and try to get it dismissed? thanks.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: No front plate + tints

Nah, I don't think those are moving violations. I'm glad in Oklahoma you don't have to have a front plate cause I think they are ugly on a Camaro.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear member

I live in Ny also, freggin state trooper got me the other day, i was minding my own bussiness, and WHAMO! he pulls me over and was like, why is ur plate in your window and not on the car? i was like honestly? lol, i said it looks like **** on the front of the car cuz theres no proper mounting spot for it , i mean i see corvettes running around all day with that special plate on their front bumper and no-one bothers them at all. so i took it out of my window, bent it in half basically and screwed it on to make him happy, then i took it off later that day.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 AM
4th Gear Member

you never say it looks better fool. just say you cant figure it out or someone backed into you and broke it so your going to chevy to get a new bracket.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, no plate + tint at the same time...how fast were you going anyway? I've gotten a ticket for no plate 3 times. It's a non-movingviolation. Although it's really up to the judge,in Warren, Washington, and Saratoga counties (NY) it usually cost $50 for the fine and $35 for the "court fee". I was speeding all 3 timesso the Trooper was actually cutting me some slack. They'll also cite you for tail light covers, head light covers, and license plate covers...but they're cheaper than speeding tickets too!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I got pulled over by an undercover and he claims I was speeding and like you said they usually pull you over for speeding then start adding stuff on or give the other tickets instead of a speeding ticket. The funny thing is though, there was no way i was speeding, I feel like he somehow mistook my car for maybe the car in front of me because he said i was doing 41 in the 30 but when I saw the undercover cop hanging out on the side of the road,before he pulled me over,i checked my gages and was doin 34 tops because there were cars in front of me. So when i see his lights go off I was like that can't be for me, I wasn't speeding, must be the guy in front of me. Sure enough he pulls me over, busts my ***** about the tints and no front plate then as he's walking away, he says u know i pulled u over for speeding but i'm doing you a favor. If you ask me that was bs and he definently pulled me over for tints but didn't want to look like a jerk giving lame tickets.

The kicker though is that I actually bought my 99 off an nypd cop who put the tints on. Up until yesterday I didn't even know the percentage of the tints the guy put on until they did that little detector thing on my window which read 14%. Oh well, guess you gotta pay to play. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting points on my license with these damn tickets. Thanks guys.

edit: what's the court fee's about? is that only if you go to court and try to get it dismissed? Do they charge court fee's if you just mail it in?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/product_details.asp?id=25345

Pre-1998 4th Gen Camaros dont look too bad with a front plate, it is the 98-02s that suffer.
As for tint, does the sun get that hot in NY? I did Navy duty at Brooklyn Navy Yard and remember the humidity; funnist place I ever served, btw, I love NY!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
April 2008 ROTM

I have no front plate (when I am supposed to) and darker tint. So far so good but it will happen sometime.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In Cali they are considered fix it tickets.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I believe that "court fees" are something that Mario Cuomo came up with when he was governor. There are a set of guidelines provided to the courts, a menu sort of, and everything that a judge might deal with has a mandatory fee assigned to it. Before that it was like the Cali fix it ticket, get it fixed right-a-way and that's that, orat least it was at the judges descretion. Now, no matter how you handle it, guilty, not guilty, in person, through the mail, everything costs something whether the judge fines you for your infraction or not. I've paid court fees as little as $20 and as much as $50 for things like no front tag, too much tint, loud exhaust, expired inspection, parking in a snow emergency zone, missing mud flap on my truck, etc...

Thanks to mloaks for your time spent, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in the empire state. I live about 300 milesnorth of whereyou served and it gets damn hot inside my car even on cloudy days.If you don't want to take my word for it, just ask the 1st and 2nd genowners up here about their curling dash pads and split arm rests & console lids.

Quick Reply: No front plate + tints