Newbie, fuel pump help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Default Newbie, fuel pump help please

I just got a "new to me" 1999 Camaro v6. It belonged to an older lady and after she passed away, the car sat still, right where she last parked it, for a little more than 3 years.

The car was in relatively good condition with only 72,000 miles.

I put a new battery in it and I am not getting any fuel. Fuel pump does not cycle when key is turned on. Security light goes out after a few seconds like I think it should.

So, I cut the trap door and tried to measure voltages. I'm getting 5 volts on the gray wire at the fuel pump with key on. At the fuel pump relay, I get 12v on the bottom left with key off and 12v on the bottom right with key on.

I've already ordered a new fuel pump but I'm concerned since I think I should be getting 12v at the pump but I'm only getting 5v.

So, can someone please tell me about this fuel system and how to properly test it? I clearly don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2018, 04:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure about correct voltages, but id check the relay for the pump. Its under the driver side kick panel i believe. Also you can test the pump using the prime wire, its in the wiring harness on the front right shock tower.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie, fuel pump help please-fuel_pump_prime.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Winder
Not sure about correct voltages, but id check the relay for the pump. Its under the driver side kick panel i believe. Also you can test the pump using the prime wire, its in the wiring harness on the front right shock tower.
Thank you for the reply. M fuel pump relay is in the engine compartment fuse box. Is there another one behind the drivers kick panel?
Also, I don't see the "prime wire". My car is a '99. Should it be there?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im not 100% as I own a 97, but the prime wire should still be there, itll be tucked into the plastic sheathing. As for the relay im not sure where it is on the 98+ years, i assumed it was in the same location as the others, but you could swap it with another relay that fits and see if it turns on if you have access to it. My bet would be fuel pump though, Ive had the same issue with 2 of my pumps. Traced the entire fuel system, still turned out to be the pump.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 PM

What I really don't understand is how I can have 12v from the relay but only 5v at the pump.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you grab the manual from the manual section. 5V sounds like the reference signal for the fuel gage.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Did you grab the manual from the manual section. 5V sounds like the reference signal for the fuel gage.
I did and I'm looking thru it now.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 PM

From what I've been reading, it seems like I should be getting 12v at the pump in the gray wire if I pull the relay and place a jumper wire. Any ideas why I'm getting only 5v?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by onadraw
From what I've been reading, it seems like I should be getting 12v at the pump in the gray wire if I pull the relay and place a jumper wire. Any ideas why I'm getting only 5v?
Not entirely sure what would cause a drop in voltage like that. Also, not sure if you are aware but the pump will only receive power on for 2 or 3 seconds when the key is turned, after words it will turn off. You would have to get a second person the turn the key while you monitor voltages.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Winder
Not entirely sure what would cause a drop in voltage like that. Also, not sure if you are aware but the pump will only receive power on for 2 or 3 seconds when the key is turned, after words it will turn off. You would have to get a second person the turn the key while you monitor voltages.
I had a meter hooked up where I could see and watch it as I turned the key.

Quick Reply: Newbie, fuel pump help please