New speakers for my Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New speakers for my Trans Am

Lately I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the sound system in my Trans Am. The guy I bought it off of has already installed an amp and a subwoofer. The problem I'm running in to is that he apparently amped all the speaker in the car not just the sub. Whenever a song that has a lot of bass plays too loud I get this cracking sound over the stock speakers. My wife has a 96 RS with a Bose sound system and I'm amazed at how great it sounds, especially for a stock system. I'd like to know if anybody out there knows exactly what speakers they put in those since I'd like to put the exact ones in mine. I figure I shouldn't have too many fitting issues since both cars are similar. Anyway, any info and insight will be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: New speakers for my Trans Am

Take the amp off all the speakers and problem solved lol. Hook it up just to the sub. There's no reason to amp the stock speakers. AC Delco speakers are incredibly loud for what they are and will put out plenty of noise for ya with just an aftermarket CD player.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 AM
4th Gear Member

why not just upgrade to like alpine speakers?

Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Or JBL.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: evilkal

Take the amp off all the speakers and problem solved lol. Hook it up just to the sub. There's no reason to amp the stock speakers. AC Delco speakers are incredibly loud for what they are and will put out plenty of noise for ya with just an aftermarket CD player.
Problem not solved, the speakers are already permanently damaged. Any 6.5 inch speaker will fit in the sail panels in back, and I dont know what your speakers in the hatch look like, those varied by factory system. The ones in the doors should be components though.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: red94v six

Problem not solved, the speakers are already permanently damaged. Any 6.5 inch speaker will fit in the sail panels in back, and I dont know what your speakers in the hatch look like, those varied by factory system. The ones in the doors should be components though.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

turn the bass down

Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: importmd

turn the bass down
Haha! Good one!! On a serious note. Are all of the speakers connected to the same amp? If so is there a built in crossover? Most amps have them. 2 or 4 channel?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: red94v six

ORIGINAL: evilkal

the sail panel speakers in the trans am are actually DVC 6.5" subwoofers. you cant just simply connect a 3way speaker to these wires, because they are already amplified on a low cut. = no sound.

if you run regular speakers there you will need to run wires straight from the deck.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I've turned the base down but certain songs just don't sound right without it. It wasn't cranked up much anyway, I'm not listening to rap. Most of the songs that get played in my T/A is rock or country, i.e. AC/DC, Skynyrd, Hank Jr., etc. The reason I want the speakers in an RS is that I've heard themalready and the sound quality and volume is excellent, plus I've always been a fan of Bose. I'll check into some Alpines and the others mentioned though. I'm mainly looking for a smooth transition, don't want to run into any fitting problems.