New project decisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think it he only drove it for like 4 weeks. It was his first car and he lives in 4x4 country. Who lets their kid buy a heavly modded LT1 6 speed as his first car? That cam wiping out might saved his life The Cam was marked .512 and it had 1.6:1 rockers on it. That should be about 320 HP to the wheels with the 6 speed. Family is very well off. When we went to sign the title he was driving a Lexus.

Maybe it was just the size of the exhaust system

Name:  Bootyshot.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  148.1 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 09-19-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow. Maybe. How big are those? I have 3.5" tips, but I live in the suburbs, not the country. Must be nice to be driving around a Lexus....I would have chosen a new Cadillac CTS-V coupe though...haha. I would not let my kid first start driving a car like that...then again from the way it sounds, they can just buy another one...a kid I mean.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was looking into the car a little today. Looks like it have an adjustable Panhard bar and a Flowmaster Cat back. Also I noticed what I think is Halo headlights. This deal just keeps getting better.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

officially subscribing to this thread

I for one really like the rims. I'd say keep it black, lower it, maybe do some kind of stripes. I'm interested to hear what you end up doing with the engine. I'm hoping to have at least 300 rwhp by the time I'm done with my LT1, so I might copy some of your mods haha

Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think I have decided to get a used low miles motor. It seems pretty easy to find the LT1's with the cast iron heads. They where in the chevy, buicks and Caddies. I have found 3 with less then 50K ranging in price from $500 to $750. I will port and polish the heads that came with the car and get the LT4 "hot cam" the existing headers and a CAI I should hit between 325 and 350 RWHP with the stick.

I am pretty sure it already has a 2 inch drop. The kid told me it was real low. He told it was 2" and the panhard bar suports that.

I will start the build thread now that I know what I am doing with the motor. I am still up in the air with the paint. I am leaning toward the two tone.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Overdrive Member

One heck of a deal there Gorn! Those rims are nice -- I would not paint them...

Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 AM
4th Gear Member

It's a race

my 3rd gen restoration vs Gorn's 4th gen

I'm at the same crossroad. Do i rebuild the motor and pay a machine shop for work or do I hunt and peck looking for a decent engine and do a transplant ?

Gorn, what will be your tipping point? Mine is $500- $600 machine work expense, and combine that with the rebuild kit. If it costs more than that then I'm tossing the engine. But, we're talking a 305 in my 3rd gen project so I won't spend as much vs if it were an LT1 or LS1

Anyway, who buys their kid a 4th gen LT1 as their first car?

Me. he learned to drive in my stang and then the 95. He learned before he got his license that the maro was going to be his so junior spent time under the car with me.

He's driven it for more than a year. No tickets etc and he yells at his friends if they try to eat or drink in iot and don't touch iot after it's been waxed.

I felt that if I gave him a pickup or some other generic vehicle he would have trashed it.

And who on this thread said Gorn isn't old????

Last edited by torque_is_good; 11-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Darlingreject was just being nice,. I know I am old. I assume all boys would be like I was. I would killed myself in a car that could go 150+ MPH.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was pretty sure I was just going to grab a low miles LT1 out of impala. Use my heads and buy a cam, but now I am on the fence. I could buy a low miles Lt1 out of a Vet for $1500 and just put in. I realize that is a lot of money but when it come time to resale it I am sure I can get more for a “Vett” 4 bolt main upgrade. I could start driving it sooner and build another LT1 while I enjoy the car.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Overdrive Member

I found my project car finally... Now I just need $1500. It is a 94 Hardtop 3.4 with a 5sp. The body is unmolested and the car is just waiting for the LS1 swap. (yes I know what is involved). My project is going to be a street driven drag car, I want to get it into the 10's but no lower since I dont want to have to put a roll bar in it. I am going to keep all the seats in is but strip the car of anything not really needed like A/C and radio... OK enough about my car that I dont even own yet LOL.

Have you done anything more to your car? Around here there are a few yards that try to pass off any LT1 as a Vette engine and try to get a premium for them. Now does any one know if the police interceptor LT1s are any different than the Camaro or Corvette or is it all iron just like the normal Caprice/Impala engine?

Massey

Quick Reply: New project decisions