new owner/member

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Default new owner/member

Hello from Iraq!
I just entered the new world of the Camaro. Purchased a 1997 Camaro RS 3.8L with 76K miles for $5500. in great condition. only driven durin the summer and has never seen road salt. It has a K&N air filter and a Z28 exhaust on it. Now i'm new with the Camaro lingo and ****. I'm wanting more power. my first thought was a turbo? then a Supercharger came to mind. i'm one of those ppl who goes the whole nine yards or no where at all. if that makes any sense. can you guyz help me with these things. i searched for a camaro supercharger and it brought me here. i read the thread from jan. about a kid who bought a supercharger from a friend of a friend then confusion ensued. help me with this will ya guyz?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 AM

Welcome back brother!
I too just recently came back from Iraq.

Im about to be new to the camaro world too in a way.
As far as go-fast parts for the V6 its super $$$ to do forced induction from what Ive researched so far. Better to trade it/ sell it for a V8 model is a common response im reading to these types of questions so far. Dosen't mean the car cant be modded but ultimate performance is going to come from a V8.

There is a nice project V6 on here somewhere that was pretty sweet. A after market boosted V6 runs head to head almost with stock LS1's from what Ive seen so far. I used to ride with my brother in his 97 Anniv. Ed Camaro Conv. w/ a supercharged 3.8. It was quick but an automatic. It managed to beat some stock T/A's and plenty of imports. (he later bought a 94 T/A 6spd that was leather and super clean)

I'm not an expert per-say but Ive got some experience with em. I hope there are options out there cuz Im going to check out a very beautiful silver 96 v6 tomorrow for 4K! Ill follow this post in hopes that some of the uber camaro owners out there help us out! How does that Z exhaust sound on it? So far its not going to be my FAST car, but i wanna just ride clean and reliable. But FAST is always a pursuit of happiness i say

Last edited by jsinray@hotmail.com; 09-18-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 AM

My bad. i guess i could have made it more clear... i'm still over here. My friend put the offer for the car up on facebook. i already knew the great condition of the car and what not. he did the intake and exhaust while i've been gone... so i wish i could tell you how that rumble sounds... i guess i'm only gonna half to imagine it for the next month and a half...

Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

supercharger? wow. u would be smart to build the bottom end first if thats were your goin. have a look at what musicman is doing. hes got a thread on here for his build. i think hes trying for some good times. hay get some pictures up and stay safe. oh yah welcome to the forum.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/project-l36-sleeper-40642/

Last edited by craby; 09-18-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM

so here's a dumb question... what does this Ls1 Ls34 and so on? What in the world does this mean? whats mine? i looked up musicmans ride. pretty clean. he's doing some awesome work on it.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

every few yrs chevy changes the motor and the name for the motor. lt1 lt4 ls1 are v8s.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default welcome home bro

hey congrats on comming home and on the car. Yes the best advice i believe is after asking myself for awhile and researching is if you want a V8 to sell your current ride and buy a Z however you can fix up the one you have reasonably and get some speed outta her. Like crabbby said musicman is building 1 helleva ride if i may say so. He is the V6 modder )god on here and well i wish i had his knowlege. I have also looked at turbos and have found its hard to find a kit that fits the 3800 (your engine) called sts and they said it will be around 5k for the turbo then the The car needs to be tuned they reccommended pcmexpress for you comp. anyways either way it gonna be time consuming and expensive. Also passing a lil knowlege the 3800 should be worked on bfore thinking about any mods IE Cam, Pistons forged ect ect or you will just blow your engine even shooting for about 15lbs of boost. There are a lot of ppl who have done it. its just a questions of finding them. Anyways welcome to the forum welcome home and GL. What unit are you in im gettin ready to head down again but its been awhile for me. last tour was afghanistan. soon on to iraqi.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by natekarr
My bad. i guess i could have made it more clear... i'm still over here. My friend put the offer for the car up on facebook. i already knew the great condition of the car and what not. he did the intake and exhaust while i've been gone... so i wish i could tell you how that rumble sounds... i guess i'm only gonna half to imagine it for the next month and a half...
so when u comin home to meet the new love of yur life.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 AM

Wow thanks reaper for the advice and research! I'm with Delta Company 1-128 bat of the 32nd Infantry brigade. Wisconsin Nat'l guard. My Bat took the best unit in the nation this year. pretty cool. I'll be arriving home for leave the beginning of nov. then we're officially done mid january. What unit are/were you guyz with? and where were u guyz stationed here? it's pretty quiet lately. but this is kind of like a paid vacation for us. unlike others in afghanistan... it's ****in nuts there...

I really like this forum. usually when ur new to a forum u have ppl who are *******s who know everything and flame on everybody.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

im mstationed at fort lewis right now with core. no my prefrence but i was with 10th mtn in afghanistan. as for where name a place from north of baghram to south of kandahar. great beaches there not much water tho lol sand for days. anyways GL be safe and make sure u get yourself home to drive that sweet ride man