New guy on this site....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Default New guy on this site....

Greetings from the new guy. My name is Dave and I live in the Louisville, Ky area. On Sunday I bought a '97 Z28 with 88K miles that looks and runs great. I haven't found anything on it that doesn't work. The previous owner was a woman who always took it to the dealer for repairs and maintenance. Even the A/C still blows nice and cold. I paid $5000 for it and hopefully won't get too many speeding tickets with it. It's teal green with no t-tops and it's the 30th anniversary edition. It's an automatic and it's completely stock except for an aftermarket Sony stereo. I don't see a way to attach photos so I guess you guys won't be able to see any pics of it since it says I may not post attachments. I'll be back if I have any questions about it....

Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Garage kept dealer maintained cars can be hard to find. I tell people it is worth the wait and the few extra bucks. Congrats.

Did the car come with records? Do you know about the Opti issue? I tell all new LT1 owners to check for staining on the waterpump at the weep hole every oil change and you should get the system pressure tested once a year. The cash you save will be your own

I used photo bucket then just paste the image link here. After a few more posts you can upload photos here but it is much nicer on photobucket.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-08-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Garage kept dealer maintained cars can be hard to find. I tell people it is worth the wait and the few extra bucks. Congrats.

Did the car come with records? Do you know about the Opti issue? I tell all new LT1 owners to check for staining on the waterpump at the weep hole every oil change and you should get the system pressure tested once a year. The cash you save will be your own

I used photo bucket then just paste the image link here. After a few more posts you can upload photos here but it is much nicer on photobucket.
Thanks for the info. I have no idea what the Opti issue is so can you please elaborate? It didn't come with any records. How many more posts do I need to post photos? I guess I better get busy and start replying to other threads. Thanks again....

Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yours is a 97 so you have the vented unit, I think those are better. Basically your Opti is your distributer. It sits behind your water pump. When the water pump fails it can fry to the Opti. I think with the 95 and back a bad water pump was a death sentence while with the 96 and 97 it is only a possibility. I am sure if I have any of the facts wrong someone will help out.

Keeping an eye on the weep hole on the water pump for staining can give you a heads up months before the pump starts gushing enough to hurt the Opti. To most people the Opti is considered the weakest part of the LT1.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sorry to take some wind out of your sails, but ALL 97's are "anniversary" models.
There was a limited "30th Anniversary Edition", that only came as a white Z28 (t-tops or convertible) with orange stripes.
For all intents and purposes, yours is just a plain ol '97 Z28.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sorry to take some wind out of your sails, but ALL 97's are "anniversary" models.
There was a limited "30th Anniversary Edition", that only came as a white Z28 (t-tops or convertible) with orange stripes.
For all intents and purposes, yours is just a plain ol '97 Z28.
It's not a big deal about the anniversary model thing but I saw that it was a $575 option so is that for the white one with orange stripes? Thanks for the info....

Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Here's some pics....

Attached Thumbnails New guy on this site....-pict0006.jpg   New guy on this site....-pict0032.jpg   New guy on this site....-pict0022.jpg   New guy on this site....-pict0025.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Good looking car, buddy! Welcome aboard the forums. If you have questions or issues with your car, post up in the 4th gen section

Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks. I made a 7 minute video walkaround of it today and then took it for a spin. Here's a link to it in case someone wants to check it out.

Also, it came with only one set of keys so do I have to get another set at the dealership or maybe a locksmith or can I buy blanks on Ebay and have them cut at the local hardware store?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, you can buy keys on ebay, but you have to get the right resistor for the ignition key, most ebay auctions for the keys have instructions on how to find out what you need.

Quick Reply: New guy on this site....