New to the forums, Buying an F-Body soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
tb1
Default New to the forums, Buying an F-Body soon

Hello guys, I am new to the forums but not to the Camaro scene. I am looking to buy an F-body, don't know yet which years but between 98-02. Anyhow, Learning and working with e30's I am not sure what to look for in these cars when shopping. It seems every one I am interested in, the seller seems to say that it has no problems and it runs perfect and I beg to differ because I am going to be buying one with over 70k Miles on it. I am not trying to buy one and consistently fix it because I do hear these LS1 motors are built to last. Besides the fact on what to look for when choosing which one to buy, I can't seem to find a 6-speed with T-tops that doesn't cost 25k (Lol). Anyhow, How are the automatic transmissions on these?

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear member

I like my auto. Once I get it stalled my 60' time will be just as good or better than a sticks.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 AM
tb1

what should I look for when buying one of these? Preferably on the 98-02 bodies. Anything in particular besides basics of a used car?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't say built to last, more like built to beat. Its a sports car that's driven like a muscle car. I love my Chevy but any car that meets those standards is not bulletproof. People often abuse these cars so lookout for signs of negligence. LSX cars are great and reliable but still keep an eye out for warning signs of engine failure like knocks, ticks, oil color, tranny grinds, and most of all coolant color. It should not be any color besides orange. Green or universal coolant is not ok for a dexcool car. It causes premature gasket failure. Universal coolant is not universal. I dont care what the container says. I'm currently replacing almost all gaskets and stuck thermostat on a 5.3 vortec that had green coolant.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought mine for under 10k with 85k miles on it 3 years ago.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Overdrive Member

I have green coolant in both of my cars and no gasket issues. I flushed the systems of both cars before replacing with all makes all models coolant. Not flushing can cause a reaction that can cause just the problem you are describing.

The LS1 engine is known for a slight piston slap when cold. If the ticking sound does not go away in a few minutes of the engine running then steer clear of that car. Like any car drive it and see how the car handles and if it has excess flex in the body. You should not be able to feel the car flex in the floor, and rattles are a sign of poor repair work or a weakened body. CARFAX will show any damage that was submitted through normal channels such as body shops or the dealers. Smaller shops may not report to CARFAX. Check for modifications to the engine, such as headers and underdrive pulleys. LT headers are OK if you dont have emissions in your area but you will want shorties if you do. Gutted cats are also a clue that some one does not know how to properly repair a car.

All T-tops just about leak. They may not leak now but they will eventually. This should not be a deal breaker but if you are going to drop 10K on a nice Z then you want to make sure that the gaskets are in good shape and the tops lock to the roof easy.

The auto trans in this car is one fo the best GM has ever made and will service you for a long time. I have 175K on my LS1 and it shows no signs of failing.

Massey