New to driving manual - need help reversing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Default New to driving manual - need help reversing

If any of you have seen my posts, you'll know that I recently (less than 2 days) bought a 4th gen SS.

This is my FIRST time driving a manual transmission.

Anyway, I am learning very quickly how to drive the car straight, starting up hills, etc..

But my biggest problem is reversing, and Iknow I am making a bigger deal out of it than it is.

It just seems that when I release the clutch and press the gas, the car moves way too quickly backwards.. when I don't put enough gas in it, I stall out.

So it's either moving backwards quickly and worrying about hitting something behind me or losing control, or stalling out.

How do I reverse slowly without stalling the car?

I know this sounds elementary.. and honestly - it is.

Thanks guys..

Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: New to driving manual - need help reversing

Slip the clutch a little, and give it less gas than you have been giving it. It'll back up without giving it gas, just let the clutch out nice and slow. You'll get the feel for it in no time.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

If you feel the car starting to vibrate or shake, just let off the gas a bit and add in some more clutch. It took me only a few days to get manual down and a few more days to nearly master it. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

If you want to get good fast, drive a 5 speed Aerostar for a month like I did. That thing was rediculous. It was dad's work van, and the tranny was old and leaked. So he filled it with a super thick oil, which made it a work out to shift when it was cold.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 AM

I noticed that it moves without me fully releasing the clutch.. Do I even have to give it gas? It's very difficult for me to give it gas, back up quickly, and then move my foot from the gas to the brake and the clutch to stop without stalling!

Will it stall if I don't give it gas while reversing?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, it will back up without giving it gas. As you let the clutch out slowly, it will grab more and more.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Ninja Administrator

when reversing your job isnt to let the clutch all the way out (unless ur going back a long ways). instead slip the clutch some just to get moving, then put the clutch all the way back in and just let your momentum take you back. when backing out of a parking spot i usually give it about 3-4 pulses and im far enough out to start moving foreward

Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: musicman

Yeah, it will back up without giving it gas. As you let the clutch out slowly, it will grab more and more.
I started not knowing manual. Went to 98 SS m6 also. This was a big factor in me learning my clutch. If you let off clutch slowly, you don't need gas going into reverse or first. It also teaches you where your clutch grabs quicker.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

when reversing your job isnt to let the clutch all the way out (unless ur going back a long ways). instead slip the clutch some just to get moving, then put the clutch all the way back in and just let your momentum take you back. when backing out of a parking spot i usually give it about 3-4 pulses and im far enough out to start moving foreward
yeah, i never come all the way off the clutch when im reversing..just enough to get me to where i need to be...unless i drive from the gas station to my house in reverse...
(not that far guys)

Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Lol I've pull that stunt in my uncle's corvette Meteor. Cept we wen't around Taco bell Drive-Thru in reverse haha. Was a good day =D

Quick Reply: New to driving manual - need help reversing