Need urgent help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Default Need urgent help please.

Ok I know this is going to sound silly and I don't know much about cars, but I locked myself out of my 1993 camaro. Pic related below, underneath the door handle is the door lock, that you push out to unlock the door. The door lock is kind of pushed inward, so getting it unlocked from the exterior with the windows mostly up is near impossible, even with a thin, long object, I cannot seem to reach the lock due to the angle.

While the doors are locked, my keys are also in the ignition. I cannot call a locksmith because I don't have the money, and I'm off AAA so no free door unlocks more me. I've tried the hanger trick to snag the keys but there isn't enough force to pull them out, plus it is risky. I even tried using a ruler to push the lock free, but the door handle is in the way. Neither work. The windows are full up. Nor do I have any buttons to push to automatically unlock the car. Basically, my keys are stranded and I've tried everything.

What can I do?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
4th Gear Member

How ironic you post this. My wife just locked the keys in the 98 and I am on my way to try and get into it. If you have a slender piece of metal bend it in a L shape about 4 in from one end,slide it between the window and rubber gasket. Hook behind the plastic lock piece and slide it forward to unlock. Last week, I used the piece of flat aluminum to do this to the 94 when I locked the keys in it. Good luck. Slime jim if you know a cop! Be careful and don't tear rubber gasket

Last edited by osduck5; 10-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by alex941
Ok I know this is going to sound silly and I don't know much about cars, but I locked myself out of my 1993 camaro. Pic related below, underneath the door handle is the door lock, that you push out to unlock the door. The door lock is kind of pushed inward, so getting it unlocked from the exterior with the windows mostly up is near impossible, even with a thin, long object, I cannot seem to reach the lock due to the angle.

While the doors are locked, my keys are also in the ignition. I cannot call a locksmith because I don't have the money, and I'm off AAA so no free door unlocks more me. I've tried the hanger trick to snag the keys but there isn't enough force to pull them out, plus it is risky. I even tried using a ruler to push the lock free, but the door handle is in the way. Neither work. The windows are full up. Nor do I have any buttons to push to automatically unlock the car. Basically, my keys are stranded and I've tried everything.

What can I do?

Originally Posted by osduck5
How ironic you post this. My wife just locked the keys in the 98 and I am on my way to try and get into it. If you have a slender piece if metal bend it in a L shape about 4 in from one end,slide it between the window and rubber gasket. Hook behind the plaxtic lock piece and slide it forward to unlock. Last week, I used the piece of flat aluminum to do this to the 94 when I locked the keys in it. Good luck. Slime jim if you know a cop!
Ok I will do just that after dinner, wish me luck lol! I'll post end results.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

hmm. my only advice would be to try and push the window down as far as pissible, and fit some sort of rigid rod with a L at the bottom and slide the lock over. it will be hard, if even possible. other than that idk what to tell ya.. hopefully somebody else knows a trick

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
4th Gear Member

I used a small thin piece of wood to wedge between the window and the rubber to give me enough room to slide a steele framers square down between the two and was able to reach the plastic lock tab and pushed it forward enough to unlock the door. (in case you have a framers square hanging around the garage).

Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

after you get that open go to the store and get 2 copies of that key one for your house and one for your wallet in case your not home