Need some help, Suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Unhappy Need some help, Suspension issue

Well I am not quite sure what is going on, but maybe I can get some help from you guys! =)

I have a 1995 3.4l, and I am having some steering issues. I have had two alignments to try and correct the problem, but to no avail. My car seems to steer with the road. The steering will follow the gradients in the road, like if it is wavy, or inclined to the left or right. In other words, if the road is not perfectly flat, it will make me steer against it. Any ideas??

Thanks a bunch!!

-Ken

Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Any accidents, frame damage? What size tires are you rolling in? (wider tires can cause this)

Please tell me you're not still on stock shocks (orange de carbons)?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Check your tire pressure too, wide tires at a low pressure go all over the place with the road. my 275's up front go nuts if the air pressure is low.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

@liberty can wider tires really cause this? I did have an accident involving me smashing into a curb so hard that I broke an oem wheel.... =( but now I have 18x9.5's on all 4. not sure what the offset is on them. This was driver's side front btw. I have noticed that the sway bar no longer sits flat on the bushings on that side, and I am thinking that it is bent. Could this have an effect too?

@bigcat I keep them all around 38 psi. I believe that they are 255/40/18's, but they are have a relatively tiny sidewall, so I make sure to keep them fully inflated!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats the way to be! the wider tires could possibly be part of the cause for that, I know I have a different tie rod end on mine that compensates for some of that...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

@bigcat, what kind of tie rod do you suggest?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Just looking at bushings will not tell you if a sway bar is bent usually. Of course any bent suspension parts or frame will affect the way the car drives. Did you have anything else adjusted/replaced along with that accident? If not, it is very likely other damage was not repaired -- may want to take it to a reputable body shop that specializes in frame/suspension repairs from accidents.

Wide tires can and do tramline, i.e.:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension...light=tramline

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-06-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'll see if I can't find where I got mine from. they've been on there for some time...

Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Tramlining! That is exactly what I am experiencing. I don't really want to take it in to have it looked at... rgh. Since this accident, I have replaced all of the springs and shocks/struts. I do in fact have a bad strut which could be an issue, but the tramlining has been going on for almost a year. I dunno. Also the sway bar looks bent because a curve in it is much more sharp on one side than the other. Also I have replaced the upper ball joints. Maybe I should replace the lower's as well?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well, from that thread, I gathered that any worn or damaged suspension components can make tramlining worse, and with "grippy" tires you're always going to have it to some degree. So, I would say that you're best bet is to fix the things you know need fixing and go from there.

Also, i was unable to find any information on my tie rod ends. I "misplaced" the receipt for them. My apologies.

Quick Reply: Need some help, Suspension issue