need some help to figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default need some help to figure this out.

Alright for those that dont know i have a 95 camaro with lt1. has little over 3k on the rebuild.

Symptoms. Hard starting and the car wants to idle at 1100ish when in gear. if i take my foot off the brake it wants to creep up to 1100 rpms if i hold my food on the brake it ever so slowly comes down but wants to stay at 900 ish.

Now if i put it in park or neutral and then shift it back to drive it goes down to 650. if its in park or neutral its goes to 750-800ish which is where it should be.

when i took the throttle body off the intake and gave it a good cleaning and i cleaned the iac. it was good for a day or two and then started acting up again.

What i have ruled out is the fuel issues up to the rail. don't know about the injectors. i have gone and checked all the vacuum lines as well.Only code that was in the computer was and egr fault.

so what ideas do you guys have?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd say you answered your own question....fix your EGR fault.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear member

Lemme guess, P0400?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
well ill fix it but here is the thing. it only fualts every 200 or so miles. it faults for a few seconds and then goes away. ill go change it out and see what happens.

honestly i have no idea what the code is my scanner tells me what it is on the screen so i never actually look at the code.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
its not the egr valve causing the problem. next guess guys.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a fuel pressure test if you havent already.
clean and test your iac motor/valve.
having the injectors cleaned and flow tested is a good idea every 50k miles. i use a place called doctor injector but any reputable injector shop can do it. i sent mine in on monday got them back on thursday. cost was around 30 bucks to do all 8 if i remember right. i had one that was barely working. a couple others that were weak.
test the maf. test your temp sensors.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
do a fuel pressure test if you havent already.
clean and test your iac motor/valve.
having the injectors cleaned and flow tested is a good idea every 50k miles. i use a place called doctor injector but any reputable injector shop can do it. i sent mine in on monday got them back on thursday. cost was around 30 bucks to do all 8 if i remember right. i had one that was barely working. a couple others that were weak.
test the maf. test your temp sensors.
i have a new pump and new fuel filter when i did my engine swap 5k ago. i did check the fuel pressure and it was good.

i cleaned the throttle body and the iac on Thursday. i had no problems for 2 days and then it started acting up again. the iac reads 37 counts at idle right now which before it i cleaned it it was 70. right before i turn the key it was saying 137 steps but the engine was at operating temp.

i cleaned the mas air flow but have not tested it. i did notice and improved idle after cleaning it. I used MAF cleaner on it.

im thinking it might be an injector im not sure i should pull them and have them tested and cleaned.

one thing i should add is that it starts easier when i shut it off and restart it. how ever if i wait 20 minutes it still has some hard starting issues. i have turning key and letting it prime and it has no effect on it.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your 02 sensors and plugs to see if there fouling. test the temp sensor on the water pump. shbox has the ohms to temp chart. if you dont have it 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids go to the how to section.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check your 02 sensors and plugs to see if there fouling. test the temp sensor on the water pump. shbox has the ohms to temp chart. if you dont have it 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids go to the how to section.
alright ill pull the a few pugs and o2 tomorrow. Ill test the sensor as well i just replaced it when i put the new water pump in when i rebuilt the motor. But who know i get so many bad parts from advanced.

shbox.com is like a fbody bible for me.

Last edited by Adam9066; 06-19-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Lemme guess, P0400?
Since he's having symptoms, my guess would be PO402, 403, or 404. An "EGR fault" isn't limited to it being only the EGR valve itself. Could be an EGR vacuum issue, or an EGR vacuum solenoid issue, or a solenoid electrical supply issue, or... Knowing what the code # is could be more helpful. You sure the scanner doesn't show the # anywhere on the display?

Quick Reply: need some help to figure this out.