need advice big time

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok everyone i know what socom was getting at. I was just in a bad mood that day and his post was in no way even trying to be of any help, all he did was point out i put a supercharger on a high mileage motor. So it bugged me. and what happened to my car has nothing to do with the mileage at all. I sucked dirt into my intake. Odd as it my sound it could happen at any millage and on any car for that matter.

anyways I started taking it apart to see the extent of my damage and i took some pictures. So far i dont see much past the throttle body. there is some, but not as much as i was expecting. I just about got the heads off but got frustrated with the exhaust manifold bolts, so I had to walk away for the night.

Attached Thumbnails need advice big time-motor-intake-off.jpg   need advice big time-motor-intake-off-close-up.jpg   need advice big time-sand-throttle-body.jpg   need advice big time-oil-caked-bottom-intake.jpg   need advice big time-valves.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Don't feel bad I drove through a puddle that was deeper than I thought . . . long story short I hydrolocked my engine

Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ouch i did that to a friends car but it was a pos anyways.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Don't feel bad I drove through a puddle that was deeper than I thought . . . long story short I hydrolocked my engine
I drove my Jeep through this: Muddy Jeep - YouTube ... was told by a few Jeep guys I was lucky I didn't hydro lock it even if the Jeep is made for off road. Next time I plan to do anything like that it'll be thought out a little better...lol.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow with that much dust in there i would not be surprised if one of the pistons went to pieces. um guys keep it on topic.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Eh, that didn't look like a big whoop. The splash made it look like more water than there was (midway to the tires). You weren't in hydrolock country at all there.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well i got 1 of the heads off and it dont look as bad as i was expecting. i still got to get the other one off before i know for sure. i got pictures i will post later. i got to take them off my phone. oh and i talked to a friend of mine who is a big chevy guy and he said he has a set of lower comp. pistons that will fit in my car. i will go over to his place and get them tomorrow.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 93maroonz
ok well i got 1 of the heads off and it dont look as bad as i was expecting. i still got to get the other one off before i know for sure. i got pictures i will post later. i got to take them off my phone. oh and i talked to a friend of mine who is a big chevy guy and he said he has a set of lower comp. pistons that will fit in my car. i will go over to his place and get them tomorrow.
If you are pulling the motor to replace the pistons why would you tear it down inside the car? Are these pistons .03 over. Your 175k motor will have worn the cylinder to far out of round for new rings to seal.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i was thinking i could change them with it in the car. i know its a bit harder but i dont have a cherry picker so i was just going to have to go that route. but my father in law has been telling me it might be just as easy to pull it. I will have to ask my friend if the pistons are .03 over or not. can i just hone the block to get it to seal with new rings or do i have to take it to a machine shop for that? here are the pic of my progress

Attached Thumbnails need advice big time-bottom-drivers-head-1-.jpg   need advice big time-bottom-drivers-head-2-.jpg   need advice big time-drivers-side-piston-walls-1-.jpg   need advice big time-drivers-side-piston-walls-2-.jpg   need advice big time-engine-bay-first-head-out-1-.jpg  

Last edited by 93maroonz; 11-21-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

here is my intake all finished

Attached Thumbnails need advice big time-finifhed-intake-manifold.jpg   need advice big time-finished-intake-manifold1.jpg  

Quick Reply: need advice big time