Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   need advice big time (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/need-advice-big-time-66151/)

93maroonz 11-17-2011 12:56 AM

need advice big time

Ok so i have a 93 z28 which i recently put a p1sc procharger on it. I was messing around with it today and i did not get my air filter clamp tight enough. I was going down a dirt road and herd something dragging so i stopped and my supercharger was acting like a vacuum on the dirt road. so i grabbed the tube and pulled it off as fast as i could. I made it about a half mile down the road and my throttle got stuck open so i tapped the gas and it went back to normal. as i slowed down to turn the car died. when I tried to start it, it sounds like the solenoid it spinning but it does not sound like the motor is turning at all. so I had it towed home.

Now i am hoping i can turn the crank backwards and look in the spark plug holes and see if it has rocks in it. If so try to remove them some how. I am open for ideas on how I might manage to do this.

If I have to go as far as to pull the heads off to get the crap out of the motor I am thinking of just rebuilding the motor. it has 175xxx so it could use it anyways. If I do rebuild it I will be on a budget so I am thinking I will have to go with a stock kit ( $500) unless anyone know where i can get a kit that sbetter than stock for around the same price. Also I am thinking that I should go with a lower compression piston cuz I got boost. What ratio piston should I go with. keeping in mind that i am still going to be on stock rebuild parts so i dont want to go over like 425 to 450 horse power.

any ideas and or help would be great. or at least help raise my spirits a little. I am at a loss and kicking myself for hurting my baby. thanks in advance for any input.

Gorn 11-17-2011 07:03 AM

Your turbo is as fragile to this type of damage as your engine. Turbos spin very fast nicks in the turbines will though it out of balance and will cause the bearings to fail very quickly. If your engine is cranking slow due to rocks you most likely have some pretty bad cylinder wall damage. It takes a lot of friction to slow a starter down and if that friction is being caused by something as hard as a rock you can bet there is damage from it.

If you truly believe the issue is small rocks under no circumstance should you try to start it without pulling the heads. While cylinder scoring is almost guaranteed valve damage is also likely. If one stone is in your intake it could damage your valve train on startup. I have disassembled motors looking for dropped carb parts (not dropped by me) because starting the engine with even a small piece of brass in it could ruin the motor, rocks would a whole new of level of “bad for the motor”.

Borrow or invest in a Bore scope (harbor freight has them for around $100) pull your plugs and look inside and maybe check you turbo’s fins while you are at it. Hopefully the starter just failed and its timing was a coincident. Since your intake is in front of your wheels I find it hard to believe it lifted up rocks unless you where following another car real close or you where driving backwards. With a turbo all it would take is one rock to hit the turbo from that point on your motor is eating harden steel turbo fragments.

Socom 11-17-2011 07:51 AM

You put a procharger on a 175k mile motor?

93maroonz 11-17-2011 10:44 AM

thanks for your input gorn. i will see if i can find a scope. and its not a turbo its a super charger but still i understand your point and how true it is

93maroonz 11-17-2011 10:46 AM

socom i am lost as to how your post is trying to help me with my problem. please explain.

Gorn 11-17-2011 11:47 AM

Yea sorry about that, I am familiar with the Procharger. At some point while I was typing I got it screwed up in my head. Supercharger would be a little more forgiving then a turbo. Still hoping it a bad starter :).

King Nothing 11-17-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 93maroonz (Post 585480)
socom i am lost as to how your post is trying to help me with my problem. please explain.

I understand his post. I can understand a cam and heads on a block with that mileage but a supercharger on stock internals...granted you have an iron block but the stock pistons and stock compression ratio is wrong for optimum usage of the blower.
But back to what happened, if you have the time and an extra vehicle I would start by pulling the whole intake off and having a look see and remove the spark plugs, plus change the oil; you might find some debri in there. You already know the worst case scenario so be prepared for pulling it just in case. Good luck with it and if you find damage post pictures!!

93maroonz 11-17-2011 10:32 PM

Not to sound like a !@#hole but if ya knew the whole story with my car not just my problem you would understand. So to explain myself..... the reason i put a procharger on a car with that many miles is simply because i got it for free. So the price was right. I know my motor is well beyond its life span so i thought why not have a bit of fun with it before i have to rebuild it.

I do got the time and a second car but what i dont have is a wife that is understanding to my toys. lol my second car is hers so i have to fix mine but i just have to try and do it as cheap as i can. you said to pull the intake. why? I was thinking i needed to pull the heads. I like your idea a lot better beings its less work. what do i want to be looking for exactly. and yea i will be sure and post up some pics as i tear into it.

Camaro 69 11-18-2011 11:56 AM

I believe what Socom was getting at is the problems you're having could be because you put a supercharger on an engine with 175k miles. I was thinking the same thing. A supercharger can be hard on the engine's internals, even harder on one that's "well beyond it's life span".

King Nothing 11-18-2011 12:35 PM

I forget now much easier a LS1 is to work on compared to a LT1. When I said intake I meant intake manifold and look for debri in the intake manifold and look at your MAF, if you descreen it nothing would've made it into your engine anyway.

Btw I have a gf just like that lol