My Low Mile v6 - Chicagoland, IL.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win
Default My Low Mile v6 - Chicagoland, IL.

CONSIDERING SELLING

So, long story short, I sold my 2000 Grand Prix GTP on June 21st. Shortly after, I realized I needed another car and a friend of mine who has a dealer's license told me about this low mile 1999 v6 Camaro he has. I look at it, check the carfax history, all looks clean. Only 56,850 original 1 owner miles!!! I figured my credit is messed up right now, so I'm not really trying to buy through a dealership. If anything goes bad with the car, I know who to go back to, so I picked it up.

I've been driving it for a couple weeks. It's a fun car, not bad, but I really do miss my GTP. I at least need something with a little more speed. I'm thinking about picking up a truck/suv until spring and then making a big purchase (possibly the 2010 v6 Camaro).

I've taken the car to get looked at at several spots just so I knew I wasn't placing myself in a bad situation. The only recommendations were all 4 new rotors, a right rear sway bar link, a coolant flush, and the 3rd brake light and registration light were out. Also, 1 of the tires had a bubble in it. In this 2 weeks, because I planned on keeping it, I have done the following work:

*New brakes all the way around - 4 new rotors (drilled & slotted) & pads.
*Right Rear Sway Bar Link
*Coolant Flush
*2 New Front Tires
*Bulbs replaced
*New Wipers

I'm thinking about selling now, but it won't let me post it in the for sale section. I will attach photos here and will tell you I purchased the car for $5700 and have put over $800 into it in this 1-2 weeks. I'm not interested in losing much money so just to give you a rough area of my asking price. The only problem I am aware of with the car right now is that the t-tops leak. It is an Automatic, T-Tops, cold A/C, CD Player, Power Windows, Power Doors, Power Mirrors, Power Driver's Seat, cloth interior, hot heat. 56,000 Original Miles! Clean 1 owner Carfax!

ALL PHOTOS WERE TAKEN ON 7/30/2010. THE CAMERA IS JUST MESSED UP

Name:  Camaro3.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  67.8 KB

I haven't taken pics of the interior yet but it is really clean. I'm a clean person, so I've already washed & claybarred the car + vacuumed it out and wiped it down twice. No burns - non-smoking, elderly previous owner.

If any admin here can help me out with posting this, or at least letting it stay up I'd appreciate it. I saw another post on here of someone looking for a low mile v6 and someone else said they are very hard to find because they are usually daily drivers. I figured I'd post this here instead of posting on craigslist and selling it to someone who won't appreciate it much. I have been on this forum since I got the car, maybe a little before, I just haven't made any posts - absorbing as much info on the car as possible, which is why I think I can't make a true F/S post.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Overdrive Member

OK first off you need 10+ posts to post to the classifieds.

Why sell the car? It looks like you got a pretty good deal, who cares if it is not fast the car is fun to drive and looks great too. I have a 99 V6 car as well, alot more miles than you have but still my car is in great shape. Yes I would love an SS or at least a Z but for now I am happy. That is just me tho. Also how is it that any car that is notorious for being beaten is always owned by an elderly person as the first owner? I dont quite get that... Yea I have heard that alot while shopping for my wife's car.

Massey

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Well, I already find most automatics pretty boring to drive. On top of that, downgrading from a supercharger, I just don't get much of a thrill out of it. And about the 1st owner, I'm a skeptical person. I wouldn't have bought the car without researching it first. All her work was done almost always at one shop, which is about 5 min. from where I live. It was def. owned by a female older owner. That info + The autocheck vehicle history report are pretty much all the evidence I can hope to get. I live in Lake County, IL. Its 1 of the richest counties in the U.S. When someone wants to buy a car to beat on here, its not going to be the v6 model of this car thats for sure. When I was in highschool (1998-2002) and would've appreciated having any car, my friends were beating on z28's, M3's and cars of that sort. So yeah, its not that I can't appreciate the car, its just that winter is coming around the corner, and I don't have the money to afford this and a truck. I did make some plans for this car, but I'm not into working on cars like a lot of you might be, and having to pay for almost all of the work to be done is making me rethink things, especially when every person on here says just sell it buy a Z, just sell it buy a Z. You have a rough estimate how cheap I could get a basic STS universal turbo kit after all the parts and labor of everything needed? If I'm keeping this car, I want to make it unique that's for sure. I guess I could get a little bit more of a thrill out of it with bolt-ons but I would still want at least a manual tranny. Again, rough quote of a tranny swap? Every time I go to read something on here most people say not worth it.

BTW Massey - I don't know if I'm coming off as arrogant, but I'm not trying to. I've seen your name all up and down these forums and I look for people like you to help me with making my decisions and customizing so Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM

Anyways gauging interest, so if anyone has questions just ask here or pm me

Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Now I see better what you are thinking so no I dont find you arrogant.

The tranny swap is not worth it imo since you pretty much need to get all the wiring out of a manual tranny car and swap it to your car. I think just the engine harness is needed with the addition of a clutch petal switch, and a reverse light switch. Yes if you want the power and the M6 then hunt down a nice Z or SS, I cant blame you for that. My car is defidently tame compaired to my wife's Z and my friend's SS but I still enjoy driving her. Good luck selling your car and hopfully you will get the Z you want soon.

Massey

Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Overdrive Member

HEy now that I can see the images it looks like you have my twin... I love the Pewter Metalic Camaros

Massey

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, ya should have gone to the HP Performance open house in Mundelein today -- some really sweet cars there and a fun time. See pics here:

http://www.chicago5thgen.com/suggest....html#post9123

Sounds like ya should have bought a 5th Gen. V6 instead...

Now an STS Turbo in a 3800 4th Gen would be cool -- not sure if it has been done before? Don't forget a tune.

There was a 4th Gen. how-to on an auto-manual swap on http://gmhightechperformance.com ya could do it yourself if you're handy...

Originally Posted by Murda99v6
Well, I already find most automatics pretty boring to drive. On top of that, downgrading from a supercharger, I just don't get much of a thrill out of it. And about the 1st owner, I'm a skeptical person. I wouldn't have bought the car without researching it first. All her work was done almost always at one shop, which is about 5 min. from where I live. It was def. owned by a female older owner. That info + The autocheck vehicle history report are pretty much all the evidence I can hope to get. I live in Lake County, IL. Its 1 of the richest counties in the U.S. When someone wants to buy a car to beat on here, its not going to be the v6 model of this car thats for sure. When I was in highschool (1998-2002) and would've appreciated having any car, my friends were beating on z28's, M3's and cars of that sort. So yeah, its not that I can't appreciate the car, its just that winter is coming around the corner, and I don't have the money to afford this and a truck. I did make some plans for this car, but I'm not into working on cars like a lot of you might be, and having to pay for almost all of the work to be done is making me rethink things, especially when every person on here says just sell it buy a Z, just sell it buy a Z. You have a rough estimate how cheap I could get a basic STS universal turbo kit after all the parts and labor of everything needed? If I'm keeping this car, I want to make it unique that's for sure. I guess I could get a little bit more of a thrill out of it with bolt-ons but I would still want at least a manual tranny. Again, rough quote of a tranny swap? Every time I go to read something on here most people say not worth it.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 PM

WOW I didn't know about that event in Mundelein. I live off butterfield road. If I cross the street I'm in Mundelein lol. I would have def. stopped by today. Oh well, let me take a look at these pics. Thanks for the link but don't feel like registering on that site and can't view pics without it.

Last edited by Murda99v6; 07-31-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Overdrive Member

^ That site is one way you will find out about the events (it's local). Most speed shops do an annual open house -- usually a fun event.

Also http://illinoiscamaroclub.net/6422.html
&
http://www.mfba.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Nice, thanks man