My 94 Camaro wreck. Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:00 PM

The shuddering I feel is definitely not engine or transmission related (its an automatic BTW). Craby's "things to add to Gorn's post" is probably closer to the problem (it's not in the steering wheel, it's a seat of the pants thing). Engine runs great, plugs and plug wires, fuel and air filters, and 2 (of 3?) O2 sensors were replaced by prev owner when he pulled the engine to install the headers. Trans has kind of a hard shift from 1st to 2nd (makes the car jump a little), less severe when warmed up. There is ALOT of squeaking when driving up or down the curb to my driveway.When I first brought it home it had left maybe a half ounce of oil in my garage. After investigating I found the oil level sensor had half the threads showing. Screwed it back in and no leak! You guys are so helpful, thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Squeaking could be brakes but could also be a wheel bearing.
Does it speed up or slow down with the speed of the car?
Another thought is a bad u-joint, they will squeak and also cause vibration.
If I were you I'd jack up the car and get under it to see if the driveline and u-joints feel solid. (Please use jack stands ,never get under a car with just a jack holding it up). Make sure the rear wheels are off the ground and you're in neutral so you can spin it around and check for play.
I'd also jack up the front and see if the front wheels feel solid, if you have a bunch of movement side to side or top to bottom you have a bad bearing and better get that fixed asap or you may have a wheel come off which can cause a lot of damage including body damage even if you don't crash.
Hopefully it's none of the above or something worse like a trans getting ready to die, may well be just a tire with a broken belt or a lost wheel weight and out of balance.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

any of the tires cupped. that would indicate a front end problem. do you have a poly transmission mount? they transfer vibration better than stock and can do what your seeing.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 PM

Just to update, the shudder I was experiencing was due to bent wheels. Took it to a local tire shop to get the wheels balanced. They told me the fronts were badly bent so they balanced them as well as they could, then put them in the back. It was better, but still not good. Searched Craigslist for some 4th gen wheels, found some decent stock chrome wheels w/tires for $100 for the lot. Back to the tire shop to have my existing tires mounted on the chromes. They gave me the standard caveat that flaking chromes don't hold air, filled them to 32 lbs 3 weeks ago and haven't lost any yet. After having the tires dismounted I was able to see that all 4 wheels were bent to varying degrees. The car rides like a dream now, so much so that my wife is making me trade off every other week so she can drive it! Tire shop also informed me that the left outer tie rod end had "some play" in it. Also have a noisy left front disc brake (related to the tie rod end?), and a large crack in the windshield which needs replaced. Sure do love my Camaro!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by guardian452
Tire shop also informed me that the left outer tie rod end had "some play" in it. Also have a noisy left front disc brake (related to the tie rod end?),
No, Brake noise under light braking is almost always glazing. Glazing is cause by the brakes overheating or not being serviced correctly. I am sure if you search de-glazing brakes or brake noise on youtube you will find a video. That assumes your brakes are not worn out.

Get the tie rod fix and a front alignment and add factory 32mm sway bar off a SS to the front and you can add corners awesome to rides great SS sway bar was the best $100 I spent in terms of upgrades.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-21-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bad tie rod end would be due to the bent wheels, not related to brake issue. would not be surprised if the control arm bushings and ball joints took a beating and are not happy.