My 2000 Camaro SS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Hard to see, but I think I see a slot peeking out -- under the filter -- your filter is covering it...

Make sure the front tabs of the lid are inside the base -- it's slightly tricky. The filter can be washed and re-oiled... but doesn't seem too dirty from that photo.

I think I would go with headers and y-pipe before I messed with a cam...

PS: I picked up my 'vert out in Raleigh, NC (one way flight) Drove it back to IL through the smokey mountain twisties!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-28-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's one clean ss. Not a fan of verts but yours is very nice. I have to agree with liberty on getting headers before cam. Get all engine mods done before you get a cam this way you get all potential out of the cam.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Don't think so, unless that tiny slot at the bottom is it. Got it back on though, slipped the lid into the slot, buckles down right. Most of the Camaros around here are ugly, riced out, screwed up, or sitting in yards lol - luckily mine is mostly unmolested.

A y-pipe is 1 in, 2 out right? How much different would it be from my Borla catback right now? I know I have a few things to do before I go for a cam, but if I could get that by the end of the summer, I wouldn't mind at all.
I've glanced over most of the thread over at LS1 Tech, and from what I see, the main thing to do before getting the cam is making sure it can breathe. One of the main reasons I want a cam is for the sound, as I don't take this thing to the track or anything.

Last edited by Guitar; 05-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

A y pipe is the connector that goes from your left and right header into one pipe towards your cat.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
A y pipe is the connector that goes from your left and right header into one pipe towards your cat.
Hm. What are the advantages/disadvantages to say Y-pipe/custom true duals/etc?

Last edited by Guitar; 05-28-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

The advantage to the y pipe is it'll be cheaper then true duals as you'll just connect into your cat and borla cat back. Otherwise you don't use the y pipe and run custom exhaust from your headers back. You'll need to do some tuning to tubn out your cat sensors. or put some high flow cats in. Depends on if you have emission test or not. True duals are alot nicer sounding and a gain of a 1-2 hp over a single exhaust.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
The advantage to the y pipe is it'll be cheaper then true duals as you'll just connect into your cat and borla cat back. Otherwise you don't use the y pipe and run custom exhaust from your headers back. You'll need to do some tuning to tubn out your cat sensors. or put some high flow cats in. Depends on if you have emission test or not. True duals are alot nicer sounding and a gain of a 1-2 hp over a single exhaust.
Hm. Money I'm not exactly concerned about (though I'm not trying to go overboard), but if I'd have to scrap my whole system as it sits, then I'd probably rather go with the Y pipe. How is the stock system setup?

This is a Y pipe setup from Google that I saw:

Basically, after that Y I'd just use what I have now? So all I'd really have to get is new headers? If so, that will work.

As for CAI - would it be better to get the SLP CAI or the Fast Toys Ram Air?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Overdrive Member

I did the SLP version, since I thought the tradeoff of the extension on the FTRA wasn't worth it. (more radiator blocking, and potential rain issues)

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I was reading up on that, and it sort of worried me since I only have liability and if something were to happen I'd be screwed. So I suppose I'll go ahead and order the SLP CAI then. Trying to browse around and see if there are any other performance things I should order right now, but don't really see anything.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Overdrive Member

What shocks do you have? I assume SLP Bilsteins with those Eibachs?

Might want to look into some welded UMI subframe connectors -- make a HUGE difference on 'Verts -- rumor has it UMI may finally release 3-point 'Vert SFRs this summer -- I have their 2pt and love them -- more power to the wheels and better cornering, less body flex.

Also look into a Watts Link, definitely my next suspension upgrade on my SS 'Vert:
FAYS2 Suspension page Watts Link page 6
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Quick Reply: My 2000 Camaro SS Convertible