Misfiring in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome, thanks Massey!

You said don't for get the metal shields to protect the wires from the exhaust manifolds. Do you have a picture of those guards so that I can see if I have them in place or not? I had a shop change my plugs and wires a little over a year ago so I don't know if they are there now, were there when I bought them or if the shop took them out. But I don't know what it they look like if I get under there and check.

Thank you again for the advice everyone.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by GoofieJ21
#1 I hope it's not the plugs or wires because I had them replaced a little over a year ago and I'd hope they wouldn't go bad this quickly.
You live in Arizona... wicked hot weather out there most of the time, correct?

Heat damages wires more than anything else, and in an area with mostly high temperatures, the wires will dry out very quickly and start to crack.

Honestly, I would trade locations with you. A set of wires every year is a small price to pay for no body rot from salt (or whatever this liquid crap is on the roads in snowy CT) and humidity.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Update

Last weekend went to autozone and bought so plug wires and changed them out. I did it early in the morning with my car nice an cool. After I changed them out I had a bunch of errands to run throughout the day. For the first half of the day everything was perfectly fine. Then, later in the day we got a little sprinkle, barely enough to have to turn the wipers on. But then, like clock work, I get misfiring. So no luck with the spark plug wires.

So I let the car sit over night. I got up early the next morning to go work and I didn't have problems until the car warmed up. After the car fully warmed up, my third, fourth and fifth gears would get misfires when I would accelerate hard. This isn't a huge problem because if I just keep it easy I don't get misfiring and I can get to where I want to go.

So I followed your advice and I opened my hood and poured water on the windshield to see if water was getting in and on the coil packs. If I poured on the windshield it didn't get into the engine, but if I poured water directly on the plastic at the base of the windshield water went directly on the coil packs. I also noticed that on the metal below the coil packs, which I think is the ICU, looks like water corrosion. I attached two pictures to see what you guys think.

I also took off the middle and front coils to see if I could see any damage or cracks. From what I could tell they looked perfect. The slots where the prongs go into were not damaged and I did't see any water corrosion.

So I think what I'm going to do next is change my NGK spark plugs with ACDelco OEM plugs. Then if that doesn't work I'm going to replace the ICU. If you have any other suggestions they will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails Misfiring in the rain-img00161-20110301-1536.jpg   Misfiring in the rain-img00163-20110301-1537.jpg