Mid Tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Mid Tubes?

ok so i bought some pacesetter mids

its kinda asmall pic but you get the idea.

ok so i was talking to this guy at Tick performance whose gonna put them on and said they cant do it w/o the corresponding y-pipe. so my question is what is that pipe thing to the right of the header in the pic? is that suppose to like connect to the y? or is there some special Y pipe that is supppose to go with those to bolt onto my car ( i need emissions and i have a dual cat car)

Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mids?

Taken from the "Tech Forum" Hope this helps?
[align=center]Exhaust Midpipes[/align][align=center]X's,Y's, O/R, and Street Legal[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]After an intake and catback exhaust has been installed onto the car, another modification for people looking for some easy bolton power is to replace the factory midpipe. Factory midpipes are usually very narrow to maximize undercarriage clearance, and contain 1-4 catalytic converters which are also pretty restrictive.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]One free mod you can perform is called "gutting the cat". This includes removing the midpipe and ramming a metal rod through the catalytic converter plates to break them apart, and then dumping them onto the ground. Stock midpipes are usually small enough (and the catalytic converter cross section is big enough) that this doesnt do much except change the sound of the car. There might be 1-2 hp hiding in there somewhere though. However, if you live in a state with emissions testing that does not use a sniffer test but only visual inspection, this is one way to modify the exhaust but continue to pass emissions. This will, however, cause a car to fail if an exhaust sniffer is used. It will also typically cause an SES light to come on in OBDII cars when the rear O2 sensor doesnt like what its seeing.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Options for aftermarket midpipes include Y-pipes, which are stock replacement, and Xpipes or straight pipes,which require a true dual catback system. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]These midpipes also come in different variaties. Typical sizes include 2.5" and 3" diameters. They also come long and short (Long ypipe's are stock replacement, an short ypipes fit LT headers). They are also available in either Off Road (OR, or O/R, ORY for off road ypipe) which do not have any catalytic converters, and High-flow Catted midpipes. Again, if you need to pass visual inspection you can buy a catted Y and gut it. However aftermarket cat's are usually good enough that you would just be wasting money at this point.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Which midpipe is right for me?[/align][align=left]Think ahead. Do you intend on doing true duals at some point? If so the entire exhaust package should be bought at one time. Do you intend on doing headers? Depending on your header choice (which will be discussed later) you may be restricted to certain types of midpipes (as stated earlier long ypipes fit up to your stock exhaust manifolds).[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]If you do not plan on doing headers, it is better to stay with a narrower midpipe. The best results come when the diameter of the tubes stays somewhat constant throughout the exhaust system, or to get slightly smaller toward the back. This is because as exhaust gas cools it contracts, so a smaller minimum diameter is needed. The thing to avoid is going from a 2" openning on your stock manifold to a 3" midpipe. Because of all of the options, the flanges on all of these parts can typically meet up so it is up to you to choose wisely.[/align]

Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear member

lol not really thanks though

Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

y pipes are generally sold separately so its not a y pipe if that's what you're asking. judging from the very small pic i'd say its supposed to connect to the y

Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Ninja Administrator

taken from same tech thread as posted befoer
[align=left][/align][align=left]Mid-Length[/align][align=left]Mid length headers typically have the same size flange to flange as shorties, but have more tubing "spaghetti'ed" in there (sometimes they will not, and will come with a custom ypipe). Therefore they produce hp and torque numbers closer to LT's, but are also somewhat more emissions friendly (typically LT's cause an SES light because a heat sensor gets a bad reading in the rear O2 sensors. Because Mids are shorter, the heat is not an issue by the time you go through the cats). However, they can really cramp up the engine bay because you are attempting to fit more tubing within the same space. [/align]
really though we need a better picture. its hard to say if you need a new ypipe or not.

however, i personally would NEVER buy headers for a stock ypipe. thats throwing money away IMO

Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear member

heres a link to the ones i bought (except i got mine from jegs) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

it said it came with a y thats why i bought it, but i never saw a y-pipe for mids on an LT1 (especialy the dual cat models, like mine)

and what imdoing it putting cutouts basically right after the headers on the y pipe, so it doesnt bother me that bad.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Ninja Administrator

that one is flippin goofy lookin

Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear member

i dont think it apprecaites being callled goofy looking -_-

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong "quote" but thanks for grabbing what I was looking for!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Overdrive Member

It's because Spec wrote it

Those headers look like they're made to bolt up to the stock Y pipe, I would get a mandrel bent Y pipe either way because you're not going to get too much power out of headers through the stock Y.