May have a little problem after intake manifold install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh darn, we wanted to start taking your engine apart! Glad you found the issue, hopefully.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Alright back again... Well it dint stop. Me and my dad both took the car out. When it revs it self up it does it to 1100Rpm's it's very lightly. He said I might be getting to much air now and might need a tune? I have a lid to then just Bolra exhaust. And I think my computer would I relearned itself by now. There is no signs of a vacuum leak. The car idles well and the power is there when I hit the gas it just goes no delays. Is it possible I may have to much air going in so it's not picking it up and Id need a tune? My dad seems to be right most the time. I just like to get 2nd opinions (;

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Oh darn, we wanted to start taking your engine apart! Glad you found the issue, hopefully.
That wish may come true

Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by bill2129
Alright back again... Well it dint stop. Me and my dad both took the car out. When it revs it self up it does it to 1100Rpm's it's very lightly. He said I might be getting to much air now and might need a tune? I have a lid to then just Bolra exhaust. And I think my computer would I relearned itself by now. There is no signs of a vacuum leak. The car idles well and the power is there when I hit the gas it just goes no delays. Is it possible I may have to much air going in so it's not picking it up and Id need a tune? My dad seems to be right most the time. I just like to get 2nd opinions (;
A higher idle can be too much air in the vaccuum system and after tinkering around with it a tune wouldn't hurt. I would talk to Solomon.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what kind of cai? was it new. did you have to oil it before installing? the oil on most of em will cause the maf to fail so you need to make sure any excess oil from the filter has drained off. usually overnight.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
A higher idle can be too much air in the vaccuum system and after tinkering around with it a tune wouldn't hurt. I would talk to Solomon.
I have a few places around here that do the tunes. I would just get it after my long tubes.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
what kind of cai? was it new. did you have to oil it before installing? the oil on most of em will cause the maf to fail so you need to make sure any excess oil from the filter has drained off. usually overnight.
It was an intake manifold. We did spray a **** load of carb cleaner on the head because there was so much guck when we took it off. But we dried it up really good. That's all I can think of

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

There has to be a vacuum leak somewhere, it may be subtle but it's there. Cracked hoses, poorly functioning pcv, warped heads/intake mating surfaces, cai loose or not sealed properly....there has to be something.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I Like to Party

Be sure to check any and all lines and hoses, take a good look at the throttle and cruise control cables, and throttle valve and be safe and sure they are not locking. Look for vacuum/air leaks in the intake system and down the throttle valve. Also check the any valves around the replaced intake and even the brake booster vacuum line

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Another thing I wanted to add, but it's not vacuum related. I've been doing alot of work on mine and have been having the same problems. Rpm's fluctuating at idle randomly. In the opti there is the cam sensor which picks up the position of the cam and sends that signal to the pcm which tells it various things. If that sensor is malfunctioning it can read off and your rpm's will be all over the place. While taking my old opti apart I had fluid residue all over the inside of the unit and all over the sensor and (optical pickup wheel?) the small wheel with holes to help the sensor. This most likely fouled the sensor causing the off readings. Now ppl say that a malfunctioning sensor will throw a code yet mine never did. That could be yet another possibility, moisture or fluid in the opti. Happy hunting.

Quick Reply: May have a little problem after intake manifold install