Main oil intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Main oil intake

it could be front main, rear main, or rear intake leak. if you could tell use where the oil seems to be coming from that would help.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

specter, how are you a moderator and not know about the LT1 intake leak?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Overdrive Member

He owns an LS1 and it's the only F-body he's ever owned, get off his back. And from what I've heard the LT1 intake leak is not caused by the EGR warping the intake, since the hot exhaust gas is going directly into the intake as it is, but rather it was due to the fact that GM started all the LT1's in the factory too early and did not allow the RTV properly set before they started the engines. Either way, we need some more info before we can tell the OP where his issue may be arising from.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: importmd

specter, how are you a moderator and not know about the LT1 intake leak?
because general technical knowledge is not a prereq for becoming a mod. The least i can say (and in this case the most I will say) is that I always give my lt1 advice with an attached message saying "im no lt1 expert, but from what i have seen....." I dont mind someone in this section calling me out and saying "thats a bunch of crap" because in the end I learn something too.

to slvr, I agree that we need more information. we have already seen too many times that a mechanics word usually is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of diddly through squat. i also doubt the egr is what is warping the manifold because in my car they pipe it straight into the plastic manifold, it only has about 8" of pipe to travel through to get there too.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I wasnt calling anyone out, i thought this was common camaro knowledge. and before you call me out, look into it. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4013/ol.html

Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Ninja Administrator

i wasnt sayng anyone was calling anyone out. i had actually never heard of that leak before, just never came up i guess.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

that was more for slvr, but what ever, its a common problem. if you dont know to look for it, it can look like the rear main is leaking.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Let her sit for at least 24 hours to get a good cure before the engine is even started
Maybe it's a bit of both then The way that I read your post was that it actually warps the manifold permanently, when in actuality he's saying that it heat is up while driving enough to get the metal to expand and that gives the air in the intake a chance to work it's way against the weak RTV. Yay learning!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

its acually not that gm didnt let it cure long enough, but the automated unit wasnt close enough to put down a thick enough bead, so then egr pipe gets hot enough that the intake worps enough to let oil through. and yes its always a good idea to let your sealant set up for 24hrs when oil is involved. im sure the sealant gm uses sets up faster sense they cant wait that long.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 AM

I misheard on the intake thing.
Its the [main] Oil Gasket.

Quick Reply: Main oil intake