Main oil intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Default Main oil intake

Ill just preface this post with the fact that Im not super-mechanically gifted; I know how to keep my car running (oil changes, air filters, lights, stuff with my muffler,etc.)
So my car has been acting really funny, and I knew I was developing a slow oil leak.
I took into the mechanics and he told me that the main oil intake is leaking, and that it is a major pain to fix.
Does anyone know anything about it? (Physical location, how hard it really is to fix, etc)
Thoughts and input are very much appreciated.
Thanks .

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Main oil intake

Ask your mechanic what the "main oil intake" is... Might be blowing smoke up your rear, or maybe you heard him wrong.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

when someone says your main is leaking, that means the front or rear seal around the crank shaft. the intake oil leak is a common lt1 problem because of the egr tube being too close to the intake, the pipe gets so hot the in warps the intake causing a oil leak. the leak would be coming from the rear of the intake, the tube is on the back left if your looking at it from the front. its not a fun job, but it not that hard to do. http://www.projecttransam.com/projects2.asp

Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Ninja Administrator

main oil intake? I happen to know for a fact that the oil pump pickup tube sits inside the oil pan, and the oil pump itself sits inside the timing cover which is sealed with an oil tight gasket. No such thing as a "main oil intake" at least on the ls1..... i dont know what car u have, and i am assuming most cars have similar designes when it comes to the oil pump (although i was wrong about the lt1 water pump but comeon.... its reversed [&:]).

he could mean your front main seal is leaking. I believe this is the little ring that goes around the hole in the timing cover where the crank comes through right in front of the oil pump. Its kind of a ***** to get to, but not too bad. you have to take off the water pump and timing cover to get to it. a good mechanic could have it off and on in under 2 hours. hell, me and my GF (who is still having trouble differentiating between a ratchet and a wrench) had mine off in around an hour going slow and not concerned about time at all. we also were taking out the intake and radiator.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: importmd

when someone says your main is leaking, that means the front or rear seal around the crank shaft. the intake oil leak is a common lt1 problem because of the egr tube being too close to the intake, the pipe gets so hot the in warps the intake causing a oil leak. the leak would be coming from the rear of the intake, the tube is on the back left if your looking at it from the front. its not a fun job, but it not that hard to do. http://www.projecttransam.com/projects2.asp
ur saying intake oil leak, which is different in meaning than oil intake leak right? from what ive seen there is no such thing as an "oil intake"

Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

yeah, intake oil leak, im sure the guy who main oil intake didnt know what he was saying, or it was heard wrong.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Overdrive Member

I would also help if we knew what year of car and what motor it has in it so we're not making assumptions that he has the same engine that we have

Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Ninja Administrator

either way, there are only so many ways an oil pump can work. and its usually a pickup tube or siphon, not an "intake"

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

its a 95 z28, and a oil leak has noting to do with the oil pump.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Ninja Administrator

i know that. thats what I was trying to tell him, the way he phrased his problem sounds like its the siphon, but thats impossible because the only thing a bad siphon will do is give u low oil pressure. Its more likely the front main seal, or this intake deal u have been talking about

Quick Reply: Main oil intake