Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Low oil pressure

I did an oil change from conventional to mobil 1 synthetic about 2000 miles ago/in december, got a new AC Delco filter too. Then the other day i bought a can of Engine Restore and threw it in there. I dont know if this is related but my oil pressure guage wont go above the first hash mark even in higher rpms and when im at a stop it drops down between the 1st hash mark and 0. Any ideas what could be up?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Low oil pressure

Drain that junk out of the crankcase, refill with clean oil,regular or synthetic,10W30 or 10W40, and change the oil filter. If the pressure doesn't come back, verify the accuracy of the oil pressure gage by testing the pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gage. If the gage checks out OK, then there is a chance that your engine restore wiped out some of the bearings. Also a possibility that the pump drive gear got stripped, or that the oil pump went bad (unlikely but can happen).

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Oil level good? Does it burn any oil that you can notice? Maybe something is f'ed up keeping the sensor from seeing that much pressure. Or the sensor is FUBAR.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear member

I have heard of that engine restore clogging filters (never mess with that junk), but you should expect a small decrease in pressure from the switch to synthetic as well. However the fact that your oil pressure (if accurate) never goes above the first hash mark (20 psi?) doesnt bode well for the health of your engine. I would change out that filter ASAP and see what happens...

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
4th Gear Member

well, i had lower pressure before the change, it hung out around the 1st hash but when i was in higher rpms or cruising it would be around the 1/2 mark. Then i did the change and it still hung out around between the 1st and 1/2 mark. Now under about 1500rpms (which is usually what its at around 40mph for me) it will barely get above the 1st mark and at a stop it will go below the mark. Im not leaking but on start up i do have smoke but its white (im guessing i have a large volume of white smoke due to my absent cat) I havent noticed any leaks orblue/black smoke andthe car still idles fine. I can do an oil change this weekend if need be and see if thats my problem.. but i spent like 5 bucks on this engine restore and i wanna see if its something else firstlol...

Edit: also it feels sorta sluggish like it accelerates slower, but that could just be me freakin about about things.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

white smoke sounds like blown head gasket. i when i switched from normal oil to amzoil my oil psi went up, i gained 15 psi at cold start up.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Same thing here, ever since that thing that happened with my oil sending unit or switch mine has barely been under the 1/2 mark. Used to be well above it when running at speed

Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 AM
4th Gear Member

well i only get white smoke when its real cold out and upon start up. BUT i do have a ticking/knocking coming from the passenger side of my engine (could be exhaust since i have a gap where my cat used to be). Today after work i started it up and my oil was at the 1/2 mark.. i let it sit for a couple of minutes and then left and it stayed up around that levelthis time... im really friggin lost as to what it could be..

Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Hey i was just thinkin.. could the engine restore cause the viscosity or the oil to rise in the engine as it works thru the cylinders filling in the cracks? like the oil rings are struggling to go up n down because now their not only spreading and squeegying the oil but also the thicker sludgier engine restore? and once it works its way out it should go back to normal no? i mean i just put it in on like saturday..

Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

what? just drain it if you think its causing an issue.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure