Loudest Exhaust for a Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Loudest Exhaust for a Z28

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Eh, I guess your right.. I just dont think the design they have is very efficient... I mean is there anyway I could maybe split the Y, leave the design the same and have em weld in like... Glasspacks or something small but loud?
*sigh* Splitting the Y goes back to true dual, which we've already gone over, can't be done in a reasonable manner, there simply isn't room under the car to get it all the way back in an efficient manner. If you want something loud, run open headers for 2 days and then come back to us when you want a Y pipe and cat back because you got pulled over 3 times for noise violations and your ears are ringing...

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 AM
4th Gear Member

You dont understand obviously... There are more ways to split the Y than what your thinking. Im not an idiot so please do not talk to me like I am one. I just know more about Mustangs than Camaros.. and honestly I gotta give exhaust design to Mustang... reguardless, I am talking bout taking seperete pipes and welding them to each header and welding in a Cross pipe where the Y brought the pipe together.... Ill draw a friggin picture on paint and show you.
Name:  untitled-3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  9.9 KB

Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well if you want two pipes the try!!
But there is no room to have the muffler any different way then stock.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

You dont understand obviously... There are more ways to split the Y than what your thinking. Im not an idiot so please do not talk to me like I am one. I just know more about Mustangs than Camaros.. and honestly I gotta give exhaust design to Mustang... reguardless, I am talking bout taking seperete pipes and welding them to each header and welding in a Cross pipe where the Y brought the pipe together.... Ill draw a friggin picture on paint and show you.
No I don't don't think you understand. Your drawing just shows a basic true dual. The problem is getting the pipes over the axel, the panhard bar is in the way on the drivers side. Like I said it can be done, there is a shop by me that does it and it's nice but costs around $1200, it's not worth it. You need to stop thinking Mustangs, Camaros are different. You can try it if you want, but you have had a bunch of people who have experiance with these cars telling you it's not that great of an ideaAND there is no power to be gained, so why bother.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
4th Gear Member

Ahh... Fine.. Obviously you dont understand what im saying.. but my paint skills arent that great so whatever. Ill just live with the design.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
4th Gear Member

I see what you are getting at I think...You want to run both pipes down the same side or the car and then have the drivers side cut over at the rear end. Is that what your talking about? This can be done too, but again it only allows for a 2.25 inch pipe and it still won't flow as good as a 3 inch y pipe. An aftermarket mandral bent Y-pipe is the best choice for these cars, unless you want to run turn-downs before the rear end. I could care less if take my advice or leave it, but I do know what I am tlaking about here, I build these cars for a living and work on them everyday, beleive me there is no real advantage with a 2.5 true dual out the rear of the car and a y-pipe.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Wow, theres really only that much space? Well shoot... guess my genious idea wont work then lol. Ok I see what your saying and i guess for the size of the pipes your right it wouldnt be worth the time or money.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Overdrive Member

We all know what you're getting at, in fact, you're not the only person who's thought of it (see here: https://www.flp2win.com/store/images...roexhaust1.jpg ), but like JD said, only 2.25" pipe, and just by looking at it, all the extra bends, you're not going to get anything out of it, especially for the money involved in getting it.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
4th Gear Member

is there a specific muffler then thats louder and soundsbetterthan the rest? How bout glasspacks, ive heard some on older camaros but never 4th gens.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

a free way is just take off the cat.

Quick Reply: Loudest Exhaust for a Z28