Little oil under valve cover 3800 v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Little oil under valve cover 3800 v6

As the title states, there doesn't seem to be any oil being thrown around under the valve cover. I changed the valve cover gaskets today and removed the little oil fill neck (it always leaked when i filled it anyway) and just put the cap back on the hole. After I got everything put back together i started it and let it run. I then popped off the oil cap just to observe out of curiosity, and there was no oil being moved around in there. I stuck my finger on one of the rockers to feel if it was being oiled and it felt dry. It had some oil on it, but not much. I don't think this is normal but the car has never shown any signs of being effected negatively by it. So i figured id ask you guys. I have a mp4 file of it the inside of the cover while it was running but don't feel like uploading to you tube ATM cause sleep is needed. So have a screen cap of the video. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Little oil under valve cover 3800 v6-screenshot_2017-05-19-23-22-23.png  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

newer engines dont pump the oil through the lifters like they used to. wont see much oil. whats your oil pressure?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
newer engines dont pump the oil through the lifters like they used to. wont see much oil. whats your oil pressure?
Just replaced my oil pressure sensor and it reads a tick above the 60 mark on the dash So 70? Idk stock gauges suck imo lol. The engine has around a 152k on it and as far as i know the internals haven't been touched. Im slowly going through and replacing what i can on my own. Just thought this was really weird. Ive done this on other cars from the late 90's and got oil sprayed out of the oil fill hole, so i assumed my camaro would do it as well.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my lt1 just spits out a little, setting lifters just dribbled a little so it was nice. had me worried too but found its normal with the newer engines. they dont need that much oil, the old sbc engines would squirt it out all over when setting lifters

Old 05-20-2017, 12:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
my lt1 just spits out a little, setting lifters just dribbled a little so it was nice. had me worried too but found its normal with the newer engines. they dont need that much oil, the old sbc engines would squirt it out all over when setting lifters
yeah i guess its normal then, just kinda caught me off guard actually seeing or rather not seeing
how little oil is actually needed. Thanks for settling my fears of cooking my rlifters. lol

Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the hydraulic lifter are not getting enough oil or the pump side is failing they will let you know in the form of a very annoying tap. You certainly would not tear into a motor without any symptoms and 60 ish PSI of oil pressure.

You can run a little seafoam to the oil the day before your oil change. Switch over to a synthetic oil and a 10 micon filter on the oil change. I am not a big fan of additives in the oil all the time. Seafoam will break down carbon deposited. The 10 micon filter will make sure those deposits don't reform. I am a big fan of 10 micon filters. Many filter at the parts stores 30-50 micon. I like the mobil one filter if they are out of stock I will get the Royal purple one.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
If the hydraulic lifter are not getting enough oil or the pump side is failing they will let you know in the form of a very annoying tap. You certainly would not tear into a motor without any symptoms and 60 ish PSI of oil pressure.

You can run a little seafoam to the oil the day before your oil change. Switch over to a synthetic oil and a 10 micon filter on the oil change. I am not a big fan of additives in the oil all the time. Seafoam will break down carbon deposited. The 10 micon filter will make sure those deposits don't reform. I am a big fan of 10 micon filters. Many filter at the parts stores 30-50 micon. I like the mobil one filter if they are out of stock I will get the Royal purple one.
Well it does tick, not loudly, but its there. Ill try the sea foam in the oil next time i change it. Cant hurt to clean it out even if it doesn't fix anything.