Key fob and spare key questions

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
Default Key fob and spare key questions

Just bought a Z28 from 1996 that only came with one set of keys and no key fob.

First question is if the 1996 had key fob as standard?

Second what issues that I may run into without it, as if the antitheft system could activate itself or similar?

Buying a new one (seems available on the aftermarket) requires getting it activated at a GM dealership I assume, or is there a way to do it yourself?

As for spare key I found this on ebay, need to measure the ohm in the current key to order the correct one, then have locksmith to do the mechanical adaptation on it, and that should be it or?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16596453676...r=465465096884

Last edited by Robroy Z28; Yesterday at 07:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My 1996 did not have a key FOB my 93 does so it is an option. Once you have a blank Key with a matched resistor anyone can make a key. But i think any actual key automotive lock smith has everything they need to make your key even the blanks.

Edit: I just looked around, so you still have the option codes stick in the glove box? You should be able to fine the code online and then on your sticker is you have it. There are two seperate options. Key Fob for Lock/Unlock alarm? and another for remote start.

"The option code for remote keyless entry in a 1994–1996 Camaro was AU3, A31, or A90."

Last edited by Gorn; Yesterday at 11:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Here's are the pages from the 1996 factory service manual on how to program the key fobs if the car was optioned with remote entry.

Old Today, 04:13 AM

Thanks both for sharing the very helpful information

I checked the RPO codes in the glovebox, and I have:

AU0 = Remote Keyless Entry

AU3 = Power Door Lock System

A31 = Power Windows

A90 = Power Hatch release

Found the below online that indicates the remote keyless entry likely didn’t include any theft alarm system until 97, which if so is good news to me as I don’t have to worry about any alarm going off, and I assume the so called Immobilizer likely had been introduced a 1-2 years later? was unable to find that info on the net ....

In a way the start key needing to have the correct resistance is a kind of Immobilizer light I suppose...

So, if I sum up my case; with the theft alarm and hopefully also Immobilizer excluded, its only about how to unlock the car, manually with key, or getting an aftermarket key fob and program it according to the given instructions in this thread, so thanks to guys I think I'm all set

Is there possibly any owners manual PDF somewhere on this site?

Edited: when running the VIN decoder it shows that I might have the alarm system after all, it says "PASS-Key II theft deterrent system", unless this refer to the start key with resistor? also recall I have a little red led flashing on the dash....

Last edited by Robroy Z28; Today at 04:22 AM.